Small Pink Wart on Dog's Paw

by Theresa
(Albuquerque NM)

I just found a small pink wart on my 14 month old chihuahua's paw this morning - it's located at the 'knuckles.' I found it because it was bleeding a very small amount this morning.

There is only one and the nail looks intact. It hasn't bled since I cleaned it up and I don't see anything inside the spot nor anything under her paw. Should I worry or just monitor it?

Last night we went running at the park and I also gave her a bath before bed.

Her diet includes dry dog food from Blue Buffalo and raw hide bones with an occasional spoon full of moist dog food. (2-3x/wk)

She weighs about 6lbs.

Any advice you's recommend would be great. I'd like to try that Vit E idea.

Thank you!

~Theresa

Comments for Small Pink Wart on Dog's Paw

My Online Vet Response for: Small Pink Wart on Dog's Paw

Hi Theresa,
Vitamin E only benefits healing of injured skin and to help decrease the formation of scars. The appearance of this 'growth' on the foot in such a young dog, while it may look like a wart, I am more concerned that it may be a histiocytoma. These are also pink, hairless growths that occur in dogs between the ages of 6 months to 2 years. They are more serious than a wart, (which in young dogs, a typical wart is found around the face near or on mucous membranes.)

Homeopathic treatment entails taking the WHOLE case of the patient--not just treating this 'wart' or growth, but addressing her 'constitution'. Her WHOLE being, so to speak. Is she shy or extroverted?

Is she chilly, and wants to be covered all the time, or does she want to lay in the sun, or on tile floors?

To start with, I suggest improving her diet--NO DRY DOG FOOD! Consider canned or a RAW diet-see our page on 10 Best Dog food options.

NO more vaccinations. The appearance of a wart, growth or cancer is closely related to vaccinosis (a condition caused by vaccination). If she is due for rabies, please have a holistic veterinarian write an exemption form for her.

No more raw hide. Use Dental chews or other tartar control treats for her teeth.

Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian, and in the meantime, try THUYA ointment topically on the growth, ONE time daily for 3-6 weeks.