Small Dog Skin Bumps

by Clint

Our 4 yr old Papillion has 2 bumps: one on her head, and one on her neck. We noticed the first one a month ago, the second one popped up about 2 weeks ago (bigger than the first).

Dog does have a previous liver condition.

Dog receives heart guard and front line monthly.

Dog does occasionally show irritation of anal glands (rubbing butt on ground).

Please help us diagnose the condition.

Thank you.

Comments for Small Dog Skin Bumps

My Online Vet Response for: Small Dog Skin Bumps

Hi Clint,
The 'bump' you showed in the photo looks superficially like a wart. But considering your dog is only 4 years old, I am more concerned that it may be a histiocytoma or a mast cell tumor.

You said one appeared one month ago, and one appeared two weeks ago, bigger than the first one. Did they start off small, and grow this big in one month or two weeks? If so, then I would be more inclined to think that these bumps are some type of tumor, and not a wart.

Warts appear small and are VERY slow growing, over 6 months to one year to reach that size. Was a vaccination given just before you noticed these bumps appearing? It is not unusual to see tumors (and warts) appear not too long after a vaccination has been given. In homeopathy, this is a condition called vaccinosis.

If this is the case, then I would advise an exemption form for your Papillion to avoid all future vaccinations, including RABIES. A holistic veterinarian will be able to help with the exemption form and will also be able to do a more thorough exam and perhaps an impression smear of the bumps to get a diagnosis. Treating homeopathically, instead of by surgery, would be the healthiest for her.

Also, you mentioned that she has had a previous liver condition. In order to help keep her liver healthy, I suggest avoiding ALL toxic flea and tick products such as Frontline. Check out our page on dog flea treatment and consider a product called EVOLV made by Wondercide which is made from cedar oil.

Also, it might be best to give the heartworm prevention every 45 days, not every 30 days. It will still provide protection, but will not be as 'concentrated' as when it is given every 30 days.

Anal glands that are not expressed completely after defecation is common in small breed dogs. Making sure that she has a healthy diet to produce regular bowel movements will not only help her empty her glands but will help her liver and her immune system. A healthy immune system is especially important to help her body heal using a holistic treatment to get rid of these little bumps/tumors.

See our page on 10 Best Dog food options and consider a RAW diet. Avoid all DRY Dog Foods!

TO BE CONTINUED IN PART TWO

My Online Vet Response for: Small Dog Skin Bumps PART TWO

Hi Clint,
Here is the rest of my response.

- Canine Tumors (Dog Cancer),
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Canine Tumors/Dog Cancer Section

Tags: Bumps, Warts, Tumor, Anal glands