Small Bump on Dog's Paw Pad

by Michelle

My dog has a small bump on the large pad of her paw on her back leg. I just noticed the bump two days ago. It is small, and it is a lighter color than the rest of her pad.

She has not been having any trouble with mobility, and she seems to feel 100% normal. She does not lick it excessively.

There is no pus or any kind of discharge.

We have not used anything to treat it other than some Neosporin.

I'd just like to know what it is and how to treat it! It appeared rather suddenly.

She is a short-haired Chihuahua mix, 2 years old, 15 pounds.

Comments for Small Bump on Dog's Paw Pad

My Online Vet Response for: Small Bump on Dog's Paw Pad

October 26, 2014

Hi Michelle,
The bump in the photo looks like a wart. Although, a biopsy would be needed to confirm the diagnosis.

As he is only 2 years of age, a small dog, and you just recently noticed it, I suggest you wait and observe what this 'bump' does over the next 4-6 weeks.

If it is a malignant growth, it will rapidly increase in size, or develop a discharge or cause lameness, in the next 1-2 months.

If it is a benign growth, wart, etc. it will slowly increase in size taking 6 months to one year to grow.

To treat this with homeopathy, here are my suggestions:

If it was noticed recently after he received a vaccination, I would give the homeopathic remedy Thuya, (Thuja occidentalis). 12C potency dissolving one pellet in one oz Spring water, and give him a dropperful TWO times daily for the next 4-6 weeks. *Succuss* the bottle, (hit it against the palm of your hand 20 times prior to each dose).

If he has not had a vaccination recently, in the past 6 months, then I would give EITHER Calcarea carbonica 12C or Sulphur 12C prepared the same way as the Thuya, and give TWO times daily succussing 20 times before each dose.

Feed him a healthy diet. NO DRY DOG food. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html. And consider a RAW diet for him. He will also need to have tartar control treats after each meal for healthy teeth.

I would be VERY cautious with any future vaccinations. According to Dr Richard Pitcairn in his book Natural Health for Dogs and Cats, regarding cancer and tumors, 'Giving a dog or cat with cancer or tumors, (or warts), is like throwing gasoline on a fire.'

My suggestion would be to locate a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form to avoid vaccines.