Small bump above dog's right eye

by Allen Steffler
(Kingston, Ontario, Canada)

Back in September 2011, we noticed a very small, somewhat hard pimple like bump about 1.5" above our dog's right eye. The bump is approximately 1/8" in diameter (or even less) and has not changed in size or colour. I would describe the bump as almost identical in colour to the surrounding skin and it certainly does not look irritated or inflamed in any way.

Quinton is a chocolate brown poodle/chinese crested mix, is neutered, and weighs about 14 pounds. He eats very healthy, and due to a few minor urinary issues in early 2011 he is on a steady diet of Hills Canine C/D food and treats.

The bump does not appear to bother him at all, but because I was concerned I did take him to the vet I usually go to. They are a very good vet and very reasonable, but quite honestly I was not sure what to make of their recommendation.

They said they did not know exactly what the bump was, but that we should consider having it removed by surgery. Quinton is an extremely healthy and active dog of about 7 years old, but I still did not want to put him through the trauma of surgery based on speculation.

I waited several weeks to see if the bump had changed at all and it had not. I then decided to take him for s second opinion in October 2011 at a vet I have gone to only once. They also said they did not know for sure what it was and also recommended having it removed and as a follow up having the removed tissue tested, etc.

Although surgery at either vet would be fairly costly, my reluctance to follow through with this procedure is not at all related to the costs.

Quinton is a part of my family and I will ultimately do whatever is best for him. I simply did not want to jump into putting him through the trauma of surgery without having all of the facts. To date, the bump has still never changed in size, shape, or colour and it does not appear to bother him in any way.

I have attached the above photo for your review in hopes of receiving further recommendations of what our options may be, holistic or otherwise.

Sincerely,

Allen Steffler

P.S. As a side note, I have some Wartsoff ointment for dogs, but at this point have not applied it to this bump. Do you feel it is safe to try a small amount of it on Quinton for a short period of time?

Comments for Small bump above dog's right eye

My Online Vet Response For: Small bump above dog's right eye

Hi Allen,
Regarding the small bump above Quinton's right eye, it superficially appears to look like a benign wart. Considering that it has not changed in 5 months leads me to believe that it is benign. It does have some characteristics of a mast cell tumor, and I think that may be why the 'conventional' veterinarians were reluctant to give you a diagnosis without a biopsy.

Looking up the ingredients in your Wartsoff ointment for Dogs, it contains: Castor oil, salicylic acid and inert ingredients. This would certainly be safe to use on Quinton, but speaking as a holistic veterinarian, I am more interested in Quinton as a Whole Dog, not just the small bump above his eye. To use this ointment and superficially make the bump go away, then what is the NEXT problem that may come up, with the suppression of this bump?

There is a reason that this bump appeared. In some cases, it may be due to over vaccination. In other cases, diet.

You mentioned that in early 2011, Quinton had some 'minor urinary issues' and is now eating Hill's Canine C/D plus treats. What had he been eating prior to that to create urinary issues?

Hill's C/D diet is not the healthiest diet, and there are foods WITHOUT artificial colors, by-products and preservatives that would be FAR better to improve Quinton's health. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options. And consider a raw diet for him. Hopefully, you are at least feeding him the CANNED Hill's C/D and NOT the DRY!

I would suggest seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian for homeopathic treatment of his urinary issues, and homeopathic treatment of the growth above his eye, and improving his diet.

Consider using the topically on the 'wart' one to two times daily for the next 3-6 weeks. And investigate a gradual change from the C/D to a healthier diet, while monitoring his urine pH to make sure he does not develop any urinary problems.

Thanks!!!
by: Allen Steffler

I sincerely appreciate all of the advice you have given me regarding Quinton. I have already sourced out a holistic vet, unfortunately not very close to my area, but a 90 minute drive to make sure he gets looked after is worth it to me.

I plan to find the Thuya ointment and try that on the bump and hopefully that works and it goes away soon.

As for food, I have already tried him on the Blue Buffalo Wilderness duck and chicken grill and he loves it! I will mix it with the remaining Hills C/D food which is down to about 3 cans anyways. I have a question about the Blue Buffalo food and treats that I will ask under a separate question.

Again, thanks so much for your help.

Allen

My Online Vet Response for: Small bump above dog's right eye

Hi Allen,
You are very welcome. I am looking forward to how Quinton responds to the diet and Thuya ointment, and/or "constitutional" prescribing by the holistic veterinarian.

Thuja Ointment
by: Allen Steffler

I am having a lot of difficulty finding the thuja ointment in Canada, or anywhere in the US that is able to ship to Canada. I found the product below at a local health store. Is this acceptable for use on Quinton?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Allen

Cheliderm Cream by Unda Seroyal
Tube Size - 1.4 oz (40 grams)

Active Ingredients:
•Thuja occidentalis (White Cedar).......5 g
•Calendula officinalis (Calendula).......2 g

Inactive Ingredients: In a Base of Lanolin, Glycerinum, Aqua .

Recommended Dosage
Adults: Apply cream in the morning and evening to the affected area, covering it with a bandage for one month.
Children under 12: Apply cream in the morning and evening to the affected area, covering it with a bandage for one month.

Hi Allen,
The product you mentioned, Cheliderm Cream by Unda Seroyal, has ingredients that are used (homeopathically, anyway) for two different problems.

Thuja occidentalis is for warts, growths or excresences on the skin. While Calendula is useful for helping gaping wounds to heal.

Boiron carries Thuya 1X ointment, and they have a Canada division; here's the link:

Thuja Ointment
by: Allen Steffler

Good afternoon,

Thanks for the information on Boiron, but unfortunately I don't see that product listed on their website. I am wondering if it is not approved for use in Canada at this point, and that may also explain why US vendors won't ship it to Canada.

I will continue my search and thanks again for your help.

Allen

My Online Vet Response for: Small Bump above dog's right eye

Hi Allen,
Try Homeopathic Educational Services based in Berkeley, California. They have Hyland's Thuya ointment.

If amazon.com sells to Canada, here's the link again to Boiron:

Good luck!

lump above the eye
by: Cheryl

How is your dog doing? I just discovered a lump above my dog's left eye. I felt it a couple of weeks ago, and now it is visible. I called his Vet today and will be taking him in tomorrow. Marty is a Lhasa Apso that we rescued 4 years ago. Not know exactly how old he is, we think he is about 7-9 yrs old. He is the best dog and I am concerned about this bump and hoping it is not serious. I lost a dog to cancer in 2008 and hope I won't have to go thru this once again. I hope your dog is doing well, and would appreciate any feedback.