Skin-Colored Growth In Dog's Ear

by Greg Leach
(Los Lunas, New Mexico, USA)

Inside of ear. growth right in the center of the picture.

Boxer/pit mix

growth with ear pulled back

My dog Joker has had ear problems his entire life: Ear allergies, wax build up etc. But last night when giving him his ear cleaning treatment, I came across something that I have not seen before.

There is a growth in his ear. I am not sure what it is. It feels like it is filled with fluid. It is only in one ear. It is on the inside of his ear and is visible. It is not very sensitive to him, but if I press on it hard enough it obviously bothers him.

He has been scratching at his ears lately. It is not a different color than the other skin in his ear. It is located right in the center of his ear.

Joker is an 8 year old Boxer/Pit Mix.

I am not sure whether this is a tumor, or some kind of infection?

What are the options/costs involved with treating this type of thing? Is this common? Is this something I should take him to the vet for?

If this is a tumor, is it likely that he is going to have more? How fast does this type of thing spread if it is some kind of dog cancer? Is it curable.

Thank you,

Comments for Skin-Colored Growth In Dog's Ear

My Online Vet Response for: Skin-Colored Growth in Dog's Ear

Hi Greg,
The photos of Joker came out good. He is very cute and he does not look 8 years old! Unfortunately, the EAR photos did not come out very clear.

It is obvious that he's had chronic ear problems from the thickening of the tissue around his ear opening and under the ear flap. I am not sure if he has a hematoma (caused by a ruptured blood vessel inside the ear flap, causing the ear flap to swell) or if he has a granuloma secondary to chronic inflammation.

Neither of these conditions are that serious. They are NOT related to cancer nor are they life threatening. BOTH conditions are treated more appropriately with homeopathy. You will ALSO need to improve his diet (NO more DRY DOG FOOD) and STOP vaccinating him.

It is not unusual to hear that a 3-4 month old puppy "suddenly" develops an ear infection 1-2 weeks after a vaccination. The ear 'infection' is treated with conventional medicines and is suppressed or palliated, and the vaccinations are continued. This further affects his immune system and he is never able to heal on his own. This leads to a condition called 'vaccinosis'.

My advice is to seek out a holistic veterinarian for a proper diagnosis. Then start homeopathic treatment, based on the diagnosis (which may be 'vaccinosis' since he "has had ear problems his entire life").

A holistic vet will also counsel you on improvement in diet (see our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options and check out some of the raw dog food diets.

Dog dietary supplements may also be needed to help boost his immune system. There are numerous products available; the following 3 are excellent options:

Click here to find a holistic vet in your area or here for

Please keep us posted by clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below.