Skin rash/abrasion on belly

by Desiree Balderrama
(Boston, MA)

Rash - appears less obvious in the photo

My 3 year old female (spayed) Maltese has developed a small rash (approx 1" in length, .5" in width) on her belly by her back leg. It has appeared within the last 24 hrs and is very bothersome to her.

It is dry, has a bit of white on the surface but is bright red underneath. She also seems to be itchy in other places, but there is not a clear rash anywhere else other than her belly. The focus of her discomfort is clearly the rash.

She has recently been groomed (4 days ago) and she was in tall grass for a short amount of time.

I have checked her for ticks/fleas but do not see any evidence of these. Her behavior seems a bit off, she is hiding more than usual.

Comments for Skin rash/abrasion on belly

My Online Vet Response for Skin Rash/Abrasion on Belly

Hi Desiree,
The photo does not show the rash very well, but it appears to have some raised pimple or blister like lesions in the center.

Considering the acute onset and her discomfort, it may be due to an allergic reaction that is causing some stinging or burning. It may be due to the shampoo, or from when she was in grass, possibly from poison oak or poison ivy??

I would advise bathing her again with a mild baby shampoo. You can apply liquid aloe vera juice to the area which may decrease the inflammation or redness and burning. The best advice would be to have her see a holistic veterinarian in your area to look at her skin before it gets too severe.