Skin rash on both dogs

by Aleta
(Tuolumne County, California)

Bear's Rash

Bear's Rash

We have two black labs - siblings. Rash on belly to groin and the male (Bear) on arm and legpits. Female's (Nala) not as bad. Seems like it happened over the last week or so and getting worse daily.

They are both one year old. New daily routines.......We are putting up a yurt on property with poison oak etc. Recently cut a lot of brush for the site and they have been playing in and around the brush pile.

Also new surroundings for them 200 acres of wood with no one around except wild animals and vegetation, river. There are ticks on the property but this time of year they are not so prevalent and I haven't found any on the dogs. They are on tick medicine monthly although I'm not real good at remembering days.

The last few times on the property they have taken off for about 30 minutes, so no idea what they may have found in that time. Thought it could just be irritation from the "woods".

They have basically been inside dogs for their first year, with an outside run that does not have any vegetation. Daily walks but not in brushy areas. Daily runs on the property for the past few months but rash started in the last week.

The female seems to get the skinfold red areas since her removal of uterus, etc.

I have given them raw eggs in their dry food for the last few days but I wasn't really keeping track of when the rash started on Bear. The rashes are raised.

Our last dog lived 16 years with no vet bills except vaccines.

It's weird to even deal with this, but they BOTH have it. Any ideas?

Comments for Skin rash on both dogs

My Online Vet Response for Skin Rash on both Dogs

Hi Aleta,
The photo you submitted suggests that both Bear and Nala have superficial pyoderma. This is caused by bacteria in the skin, which then develops into an infection in the hair follicle, which forms a pimple that pops and creates the circular red raised lesions that you see.

If poison oak were the cause, I would expect the rash to be more diffuse and not so patchy, and also to cause them to itch and scratch. You did not mention if they were itching.

From the outdoors life that they are now enjoying, contact with water in ponds, dirt and damp soil and irritation of the skin from bushes, etc. would be the likely cause.

As they are siblings, they have similar immune systems, and that is why they have responded the same. Also, you have probably vaccinated them the same, and they are on the same diet and the same flea/tick/heartworm control.

To treat superficial pyoderma, a conventional veterinarian would start on antibiotics.
As a holistic veterinarian, I believe that you can treat by boosting the immune system, give homeopathic remedies, improve the diet, limit the vaccinations and use non-toxic flea and tick prevention.

Bathe them one to two times per week with a baby shampoo, rinse and dry well. You may need to limit their activity, so they are not disappearing into 'parts unknown' every day, and also curtail them from running through the brush for the next 2 weeks, at least until their skin has improved.

Check out our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options and especially look into the raw natural dog foods that are listed. Raw meat contains Vitamin C, which is destroyed by heat in cooking.

All dogs make their own vitamin C, so it is not added to dog food. If your dogs have a susceptibility to a bacterial skin infection due to a poor immune system, it may indicate that they are not making enough of their own Vitamin C. Therefore, adding raw meat to the diet (NOT raw PORK or raw FISH) will be very beneficial to their health.

They also need to have LESS dry food. The skin needs to have moisture provided from the moisture in the diet. A dry food diet, even if you add water, will not be the same thing. Incorporating a raw diet or adding some raw meat to the diet would be ideal for a healthy shiny hair coat.

Also, giving the minimal vaccinations possible would be healthier for both Bear and Nala. See our page regarding dog vaccines for more information.

(Continued on Skin Rash on both dogs-Part 2.)

Part 2 - My Online Vet Response to Skin Rash on Both Dogs

(continued from above)

You were very lucky with your last dog if you continued with frequent vaccines, and he lived to be 16 years old!

Choosing more natural flea/tick products would also be better for their immune systems. See our page on Dog Flea Medicine for more info. And check out the product Wondercide, a safe flea/tick repellent made from Cedar.

Of course, diagnostic tests may be needed, such as skin scraping or fungus cultures which can be done by a holistic veterinarian.

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here:
find a holistic veterinarian in my area

NOT raw PORK or raw FISH
by: Gina

Why NOT raw PORK or raw FISH?

My Online Vet Response for: Skin rash on both dogs

Hi Gina,
Why not raw pork or raw fish?

Because of the danger of trichinosis from raw pork and parasites, (flukes) from raw fish.

Other raw meats do not pose such a health risk for dogs or cats.

P.S. If you've found this service or our web site helpful, please "Like" us
by clicking the like button at the top of the left
margin
. Thank you!