Skin Problems Dog

My 10 yr old male Bichon has been plagued with skin problems (hot spots, inflammation) for most of his life. I would like to try Aloe Vera gel both topically and internally. I am finding a ton of conflicting information on the internet as to the safety vs. toxicity of aloe for pets.

Can you clarify this?

I am also currently starting homeopathic sulfur for him. I do NMT (www.neuromodulationtechnique.com) but it is difficult to treat my own animals per the emotionality factor. I have been through 4 vets none of whom are holistic and of course they recommend drugs (antihistamines, steroids).

I am a Dr. of Naturopathy so therefore prefer natural methods to treat my pets whenever possible.

Comments for Skin Problems Dog

My Online Vet Response to Skin Problems Dog

Hello Dr.,
My sympathies to you, as the Bichon breed is known to have skin problems. Considering their genetic inherited tendencies, it is best to remove any obstacles to cure/treatment, such as no more vaccinations, a raw diet, no topical toxins for fleas or ticks, and supplements for the immune system, such as Immuplex from Standard Process (1/2 capsule in food BID). And a homeopathic remedy that is the similimum! Sulphur may be his similimum, or a close match. I would stay with low potencies, perhaps 12c 1-2 times daily, or even an LM potency.

Answering your questions regarding aloe vera gel, using it from the plant or the 99.9% pure aloe vera gel is not toxic to dogs, when applied topically.

Since it is rather sticky and leaves a thick residue, it might increase the chance of him licking it off, and causing more irritation to his skin. It will not be toxic, but the less he licks, chews, or irritates his skin the better.

Therefore, I always recommend using the liquid Aloe Vera juice that is 'drinkable' and is refrigerated after opening. This is a thin liquid, is cold when it comes out of the fridge, will absorb into his skin without leaving a residue (hopefully, decreasing any redness or inflammation present)and may calm down the skin making him more comfortable. At the clinic, we keep the aloe juice in a 8-12 oz spray bottle, and spray it onto the skin, as needed.

Aloe vera juice can also be added to the food, to help the GI tract in cases of irritable or inflammatory bowel conditions. You could add 1/2 -1 tsp to his food BID.

Seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian would be the best care for your Bichon. Look in the column on the left under Health/Wellness and click on Alternative Care, then scroll down to find a holistic vet in your area.

Food Allergies can contribute to skin problems
by: Dog food recipe cookbook

Commercial foods can contain things that set off skin problems - you might consider making your dog's food.

Sincerely,
John