Skin problem in the outer ear of our dog

by Bruce Leong
(Sydney, Australia)

Cooper is our 2 year old Australian Terrier. He has a flaky, dry skin irritation on the inside of both his ears. It is worse at the point where the skin forms a V.

He has had this irritation to varying degrees for the past several months but it now seems to be bothering him more. He shakes his head and scratches the skin on the outside of his ears with his paws.

His medication includes Advantix and Heartguard.
His diet includes Vegan Pet pellets, which is mainly organic and contains Omega 3 & 6, Vitamin C, Taurine, L Carntine and Amylase - this does not include wheat. He also has hormone-free fresh beef each day with the Vegan Pet.

The skin irritation first appeared at the end of last spring when he had red, itchy paws. We took him to the vet where they gave us some steroid type ointment. This suppressed the irritation and the redness went away but the irritation his ears have remained. The vet was unsure about what caused the irritation but suspected that it may have been Wandering Jew.

We have also been giving him a homeopathic and herbal remedy called "Spring" made by Tagiwig but have dropped off in our applications with this.

Comments for Skin problem in the outer ear of our dog

My Online Vet Response for: Skin problem in outer ear of our dog

Hi Bruce,
Cooper's breed, unfortunately, is top of the list of dogs susceptible to skin allergies. And this can be seen in susceptible dogs between the ages of 6 months to 2 years.

What you described, with it starting in the Spring with red, itchy paws and the dry, flaky ears, is typical of inhaled allergies. And what he has now is called 'allergic otitis externa'. But even though his genetics may be against him, there is hope through improving his diet, NO MORE VACCINATIONS, and stopping the Advantix.

I am not sure how often you are supposed to vaccinate dogs in Australia, but since Cooper is not healthy, he should NOT be vaccinated. A holistic veterinarian would be able to write an exemption form for Cooper.

NO MORE DRY DOG FOOD. Dogs are not 'obligate' carnivores, and they are able to survive on a Vegan diet. But if a dog is NOT healthy, it would be best to feed a canned or even a RAW diet, that contains a balanced meat and vegetable mix. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options.

He needs to have more moisture internally in his diet to help his skin. Adding in 250-500mg of Omega 3 fish oils to each meal, TWO times daily would also help.

Natural Tick/Flea repellent:
See our page on Natural Flea/Tick treatment and consider using cedar oil, available from Wondercide and called 'Evolv'.

Natural Supplement to help with allergies:
A product from Standard Process, called Antronex is a liver supplement that helps the liver remove histamine from the skin, therefore 'acting' like an anti-histamine. For Cooper, give him 1/2 - 1 tablet TWO times daily, as needed for itching.

Once Cooper has started this regime for the next 3-6 weeks, THEN he should be seen by a holistic veterinarian to consider homeopathic treatment. I would advise 'classical' homeopathy using ONE remedy at a time. The product called 'Spring' by Tagiwig is a combination of different remedies, (in potency), combined with herbs, that I do not feel would be very helpful in Cooper's case.

Hi Bruce,
Here is the rest of my response.

- Dog Ear Infection & Dog Ear Problems,
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Ear Problems Section