Skin Growth Under Dog's Chin

by Susan N.
(San Bruno, CA)

We just found a skin growth that is on our dog's jaw (see photos).. It's on the left side of her jaw, underneath her mouth, about an inch down from the corner of her mouth. It is raised and protrudes outward (I felt inside her mouth and it doesn't feel like there is anything pushing in that way).

Now that we think about it we realize she has been itching at it - with her scratching at it with her paw and dragging the side of her face across the carpet and bumping against the furniture.

Thank you very much for any insight into what this could be.

Comments for Skin Growth Under Dog's Chin

My Online Vet Response For: Skin Growth Under Dog's Chin

June 29, 2014

Hi Susan,
From the photos this looks like a benign wart.
Here is some more info on warts:

Although, if your dog is between the age of 6 months to 2 years, it might be a histiocytoma.

If older than 2 years old, than there is also a possibility that this might be a mast cell tumor. Certain breeds seem more susceptible to this tumor, boxers, Boston Terriers, and a few other breeds.

Vaccinations seem to trigger the appearance of these growths, warts, and tumors. I would advise that you seek the help of a holistic veterinarian for an exemption form for your dog, to avoid future vaccinations.

To improve your dog's immune system, feed the healthiest diet possible. NO DRY dog food. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, and consider a RAW diet.

Send me some more details on your dog, include age, breed, and date of last vaccination, for more suggestions.