Skin Growth Above Dog's Eye

by Joshua K.
(Jersey City, NJ, USA)

We noticed a growth above our dog's eye about 10 days ago. It looks like a classic dog wart, with a caulifower-like texture and appearance. It has grown over the past 7 days, however, pretty rapidly.

It is now about 2mm wide with a distinctive stem at the base of it. It still doesn't effect her vision or touch her eye and she doesn't seem bothered by it, but we are concerned about the growth rate.

Attached are two pictures of the growth. Should we be rushing to the vet? Or should we try a more holistic remedy? We have heard a couple of things, such as applying castor oil or tying a thing string around the stem.

We have had Zena in our family since January of this year. She is originally from a shelter in West Virginia, and is now living with us in Jersey City, NJ. She has had some minor health issues (including an eye infection that she got from our local dog run).

She is a mutt -- we believe she might be part Catahoula Leopard Dog, and we have also heard Australian Shepard, Fox Terrier, and Greyhound. We believe she is about 2.5 years old, although our vet thinks she might be younger (based on her teeth).

Comments for Skin Growth Above Dog's Eye

My Online Vet Response for: Skin Growth Above Dog's Eye

August 19, 2014

Hi Joshua,
Regarding Zena's growth above her eye: from your photos it looks like a benign wart.

"...had Zena in our family since January of this year. She is originally from a shelter in West Virginia..."

I suspect she received vaccines from the shelter at that time. You do not mention if she had any more recent vaccinations. Warts, growths, tumors, etc. seem to occur in susceptible individuals, after a vaccine has been given. This is a condition called 'Vaccinosis'.

In my opinion, I suggest you use homeopathic remedies, improve her diet, and be VERY cautious with any future vaccinations. You may wish to contact a holistic veterinarian for an exemption form.
1. To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click on the link below

2. The best diet would be a RAW diet. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html. Since she is a large dog, you may want to compromise and perhaps, feed her a diet with 1/3 dry, 1/3 canned and 1/3 raw. Some good RAW brands: BRAVO! Nature' Variety, Primal

3. Homeopathic remedy: Thuja occidentalis (common name Thuya). Give her 12C potency. Dissolve one pellet in 2 oz of Spring Water, and give 1/2 dropprful by mouth TWO times daily for 3-6 weeks.

4. If the wart decreases in size but does not disappear completely, she will need a higher potency, such as a 30C or 200C.