Skin Fold Dermatitis

by Jeff
(Los Angeles)

Our dog had surgery on her belly to remove a Stage-II mast cell tumor. Since then she has had this swelling on her belly creating the folds, that is now the site of the dermatitis.

She is not overweight and she gets plenty of exercise. For the long-term, is there anything we can do to prevent this type of mild infection from recurring?

Comments for Skin Fold Dermatitis

My Online Vet Response to Skin Fold Dermatitis

Hi Jeff,
You did not include a photo, so I am not sure if the skin fold in question is from the incision folding over post-op, or from incomplete healing after the surgery. I would be very suspicious that it may be from generalized poor health that made her 'susceptible' to forming a mast cell tumor in the first place.

Since a surgical procedure is very suppressive to the body's immune system, you should seek out a holistic veterinarian close to you for homeopathic treatment. He or she will also give you suggestions on improving her nutrition, and, also, supplements to improve her immune system.

Homeopathic treatment is the best way for preventing the formation of any more mast cell tumors, clearing up her skin, and getting her to a higher level of health.

Merely treating with something topical will not be the answer. Check in the column on the left under Alternative Care, and scroll down to finding a veterinarian in your area.

Additional Advice: My Online Vet Response to Skin Rash on Belly/Skin Fold Dermatitis
by: Carol Jean Tillman DVM

Hi Jeff,
I must apologize, as I answered the above question not realizing that you HAD sent a photo of your dog previously, under the topic of Skin Rash on Belly.

Looking at her photo, I can now see that it is from an incision on her medial thigh, instead of down her ventral midline. It is sometimes difficult making diagnoses from photos. Now with the history of her having had a mast cell tumor removed, I will refer you to my second response for 'skin fold dermatitis'.

Halo Cloud Nine Herbal Healing Salve (All Natural)I do not think that topical treatment alone will be the answer. Although, it will not hurt her to keep the area clean, perhaps using topical aloe vera juice to decrease any inflammation, or the
Cloud Nine ointment by Halo
(which contains aloe vera, calendula, avocado oil, etc.).

Seeking out the help of a homeopathic veterinarian in your area would be the best option.

DISCLAIMER: The above should never replace the advice of your local veterinarian, as they have the ability to evaluate your dog in person."