Skin Condition - Shampoo Allergy

by Jamie
(London, ON)

Red Itchy Rash

Red Itchy Rash

Here are the symptoms: itchy red skin, after one bath, broke out in rash, pustule/pimple like. shaved her a bit. 4 months of rash. small white bumps mixed with red pimples.

Itching breaks skin, mostly on chest and shoulders, some on sides where she snaps and bites. STINKS like ammonia. chews feet, back legs, scratches shoulders uncontrollably. Almost all skin is reddened. wears cone almost 100% of time. tried bathing, neem oil, ACV. no hair loss except slighty around upper and scratched shoulder area.

My dog is a 9 years old golden retreiver. We feed her a raw/cooked diet, have given her no vaccinations, provider her with regular chiropractic care, plenty of coconut oil, olive oil, fish oil and probiotics.

She has only had occasional hot spots/scratching in summer, until this year.

Comments for Skin Condition - Shampoo Allergy

Online Response for Skin Condition
by: Carol Jean Tillman DVM

Hi Jamie,
That seems like an extreme reaction after one shampoo, to have such a severe itching, ammonia like body odor, and rash as you have described to continue for 4 months. You sound like you have worked hard to keep your Golden Retriver healthy, with no vaccinations, raw/cooked diet, chiropractic adjustments, and adding fish oils to the diet.

The photo you sent showed that the skin was not as red as I would have expected, but you said that you did keep a cone on 24/7 to prevent any further self-trauma. I do not think there is too much else I could recommend, except to go to a homeopathic veterinarian.

In many cases, you do not need a specific diagnosis, homeopathic treatment is based on the symptoms of the patient. Although, it usually is nice to have some diagnostic work up done, to rule out parasites, autoimmune diseases, systemic diseases such as diabetes, kidney disease, etc. In which case, the veterinarian will draw some blood, do a skin scraping, and perhaps a fecal and urinalysis.

The veterinarian will also go into depth on the exact type of diet you have been feeding to ensure there are no deficiencies. Then take the case to find the constitutional remedy for your dog, taking into account past and present symptoms, problems, etc.

DISCLAIMER: This educational advice is based on the depth of your question and the picture you submitted. The above should never replace the advice of your local veterinarian, as they have the ability to evaluate your dog in person."

Online response for more suggestions for skin condition
by: Carol Jean Tillman DVM

Hi Jamie,
I forgot to add our website's information for you to locate a good homeopathic veterinarian:

Another comment
by: Dr. Tillman

Hi again Jamie,

Another couple of thoughts for you:

An allergic reaction may have triggered it. But for it to continue for so long, I am worried about some secondary sarcoptes mange mite, Staph bacteria, yeast infection, or ongoing exposure to some toxins in the environment.

I am not sure why your dog would have any secondary problems, if he has not had vaccinations, has a super healthy diet, no toxins applied for fleas or ticks, etc. (unless there is some dietary deficiency, or some ongoing exposure to a toxic element).

As I suggested, an exam by a holistic vet with some diagnostic work-up, may shed some light on the matter.

Please keep us posted by coming back to this page and clicking the "click here to add your own comments" link below.

Dr. Tillman

Dog Skin Conditions,
Dog Itchy Skin,
Dog Skin Rash,
Dog Skin Allergies,
Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Skin Rashes, Marks, Spots, Lesions & Patches (including itchy skin and mange) Section

My Online Vet Response - Shampoo Allergy
by: Sue Smith in Michigan w Chocolate Lab

Sounds like your dog has an allergy to something in the shampoo. Makes sense it is shampoo if the rash only occurs after a bath.
I, personally, am allergic to Sodium Laurel Sulfate or Sodium Laureth Sulfate which is a detergent. I now use non-SLS shampoos and my skin is doing great. I have to wear gloves to do dishes. I use natural soaps also - and coconut oil is good and olive oil.
Maybe this is your dog's skin problem? I would try to put olive oil on the skin to protect and moisturize skin as well as oil will protect the skin. Try natural (non SLS shampoo) with oil in it.
Also, consider not using pesticides for preventing fleas. My dog is allergic to this also.
-- Sue from Michigan

Skin Condition NEW

You truly must try feed your dog Coconut Oil. It will assignment help websites actually assist with skin conditions as fine as being so awfully fit.