Skin around dog's eye is irritated, swollen & scabby

by Anna
(San Lorenzo, CA)

I am concerned about my dog's left eye. Just around his eyes is some sort of irritation, and it's a bit scabby.

It has been like this for a couple weeks and I thought it would go away but my other dog has been licking it - I also thought this was their way of making it heal. But now his eye is a bit swollen just below his eye and I am really concerned.

Comments for Skin around dog's eye is irritated, swollen & scabby

My Online Vet Response for: Skin around dog's eye is irritated , swollen & scabby

Hi Anna,
The photos you sent are not very informative since both of his eyes appear to be almost closed. Therefore, I am unable to see into his eyes. It would be nice to pull the eyelids up to see if his conjunctiva is inflamed, if there is a discharge and/or if the cornea is ok.

If this is strictly an 'external' eye condition, I would be suspicious of possible Demodectic mites. If he is scratching or rubbing his eyes, that may indicate a foreign body or an allergic reaction occurring. He will need a skin scraping, and maybe a culture, to know what the problem might be and how to take care of it.

I advise that you take him in for an exam by a veterinarian in person to diagnose the problem rather than waiting any longer.

- Dog Skin Conditions