Should I vaccinate my dog?

by Chris
(Bayonne, NJ)

My boys, Charlie and Baxter

My boys, Charlie and Baxter

I had two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels from the same litter. They are 4 years old. They both got their puppy vaccinations via the conventional method. After reading about vaccinations being bad for them, I decided not to continue with them. They haven't gotten any since they were puppies. Last Thursday we lost one of them to Non-Regenerative Anemia. It was an extremely quick and devastating experience.

I am going to take the other one to the vet for a full check up. Providing he is healthy, should I have the vet vaccinate him?

Having lost my Charlie, I want to do everything possible to prevent my Baxter from any health issues. Of course I am questioning all of my decisions regarding his well being.

Any advice you can give me will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Comments for Should I vaccinate my dog?

My Online Vet Response for: Should I vaccinate my dog?

Hi Chris,
No, you should NOT vaccinate Baxter. He is now 4 years of age and since he last had vaccines 3 1/2 years ago, the protective antibodies for Parvo, Distemper, Rabies, Bordatella, etc. will last for many more years.

An antibody titer can be done by drawing a blood sample and measuring the level of antibodies. Antibodies are proteins produced by the body in response to exposure to a virus or bacteria, either from a natural infection or from a vaccination. In fact, in your research of vaccinations for dogs and cats, you may have read this from Kirk's Current Veterinary Therapy XI (Small Animal Practice), page 205, 1992.
Authors:

Tom R Phillips, DVM, Ph.D.
Associate Member
The Scripps Research Institute
La Jolla California

Ronald D Schultz, Ph.D.
Professor and Chairman
Department of Pathobiological Sciences
School of Veterinary Medicine
University of Wisconsin

"Annual Vaccination--A practice that was started many years ago and that lacks scientific validity or verification is annual revaccinations. Almost without exception there is no immunologic requirement for annual revaccination. Immunity to viruses persists for years or for the life of the animal."

The non-regenerative anemia that Charlie developed is an auto-immune disease. Auto-Immune diseases are triggered by an 'imbalance' or what is called a 'mis-tunement' in the Vital Force or in modern terms, the immune system. In many cases, vaccinations can be a cause of this imbalance in susceptible individuals. Since Baxter is a litter mate of Charlie, he may also be "susceptible" to developing a chronic illness. I would advise having a holistic veterinarian give Baxter a full exam, and start homeopathic treatment for 'vaccinosis' to prevent what happened to Charlie!

And, of course, provide him with a healthy diet, good exercise and lots of love!

Click here to find a holistic vet near you.

- Dog Vaccination Schedule,
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Vaccination Section

I think you should vaccinate

Just because something is natural doesn't mean it is good for you. To me, vaccination makes logical sense since it has scientific validity and is supported by evidence-based medicine. Vaccinate your pup.

Actually, vaccines are NOT supported by evidence-based medicine. In Current Veterinary Therapy XI, Dr. Ron Schultz states that duration of immunity persists for years or for the LIFE of the animal! Veterinarians find it convenient to add the vaccine to the annual examination in order to increase income, NOT because a dog or cat needs to have MORE protection every year.

Vaccine companies only keep lab animals for 3 years to monitor the duration of immunity. Therefore, they state their vaccine is only good for 3 years.

Research by Dr. Ron Schultz and Dr. Jean Dodds has shown that duration of immunity to almost ALL vaccines lasts much longer. In fact, they are working on a 7 year and a 10 year Rabies vaccine! The AVMA and AAHA vaccination protocols state that vaccines do not have to be repeated more often than every 3 years.

Be very careful in putting all your belief in conventional medicine, supposedly 'evidence-based'. Make sure the source is from an independent researcher and not a Pharmaceutical/vaccine company.