Scabs on dog's belly and joint of back leg

by Angela
(Canada)

We went to the vet last week because of a round scab on my dog's belly. I thought maybe it was ring worm. She told me that he was perfectly healthy and the scab was either from playing with my other dog or an insect bite and nothing to worry about.

My dog is a 3 year old, 96 lb Siberian husky, chow, Akita mix.

I am noticing many other scabs (6-7) in the joint of his back leg. I have been watching these for days, and I can not tell if they are getting better. The scabs are flaking off, but some of them seem quite red.

He may be loosing fur in that area, or I could be paranoid - I'm really not sure. He is not trying to scratch or lick it and his behavior doesn't seem off at all. Should I take him back to the vet - or am I just being overly worried?

(I tried to take a picture, but can't zoom in properly for you to see)

Comments for Scabs on dog's belly and joint of back leg

My Online Vet Response for Scabs on Dog's belly and joint of back leg

Hi Angela,
In dogs with very thick and dense coats, it may be difficult to examine the skin closely. If you are noticing MORE scabs in these areas, I would return to your veterinarian to have the hair clipped short in order to see the skin more clearly.

I am suspicious that your dog has a superficial pyoderma. This is a bacterial infection in the hair follicles, causing a pimple to form and then pop, leaving a 'ring' or collarette. Clipping the hair shorter will allow you to better cleanse the area with a mild shampoo, such as a baby shampoo, rinse and dry well.

Since you have NOT noticed your dog itching or scratching, I doubt that this is due to an allergic reaction (see Dog Skin Allergies or Sarcoptic Mange for more information).

The cause of superficial pyoderma is usually due to a decrease in the immune system, allowing the bacteria normally found on the skin to cause a problem. Several factors can cause this, including improper diet (usually dogs on all dry food diets are more susceptible), recent vaccinations or 'stress', such as a change in the normal household routine (house guests, new baby, new dog, boarding, new work schedule for owner, etc.).

Improving your dog's diet, avoiding unnecessary vaccinations or opting for an exemption for a vaccination (which a holistic veterinarian will offer) and decreasing stress will all help to improve your dog's health and prevent a recurrence of this problem.

A conventional veterinarian will just give a prescription for antibiotics to treat this condition. This does not address the cause, nor prevent it from happening again.

Click here to locate a local holistic veterinarian.

Did you find out what this was? NEW

Hi Angela,

Did you ever find out what this was? We have a part malamute part chao chao that is having the same issue. We have taken him to the vet numerous times and they haven't a clue.

Thank you!