Scab on Dog's Belly

by Susan
(Charlotte, NC)

Our dog has always had a scab on his belly right below his ribs. Sometimes I pick it off or he does and it bleeds and forms another scab. I just had him groomed and they shaved around that area. Normally it is furrier and the scab sticks to the fur there.

Our vet put some of the blood on a slide and looked at it. He didn't see anything concerning but said it was mostly blood. He recommended maybe next time he is under anesthesia like for a teeth cleaning, that he would remove it.

It seems like it may have grown a bit but that could just be because the scab is bigger because it bled more last time the scab came off. This is also the first time we got a good look at it with the shaved fur.

It does not bother the dog and he doesn't lick or scratch at it. There is only one scab.

Do you think we should take it off or just watch it?

We've had him for about 14 months. He is a 3 year old Australian Shepherd/Springer Spaniel mix. About 35 pounds. Black with blue eyes. He was found as a stray covered in ticks. He's a little uncoordinated.

Comments for Scab on Dog's Belly

My Online Vet Response for: Scab on Dog's Belly

October 31, 2014

Hi Susan,
The photo you sent of the scab, looks like it might be the start of a tumor or growth. Histiocytomas are growths that appear in young dogs. Considering the bleeding that would occur when the scab is removed, it would be difficult to isolate any cells from the growth, separate from the red blood cells.

"Our dog has always had a scab on his belly right below his ribs...We've had him for about 14 months"

Since it has been there over one year, and has only slightly enlarged, I suggest you try a holistic approach first, before surgery.

1. Diet-see our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, And consider a RAW diet for him. Do not feed any DRY dog food. That is NOT healthy. Especially, since he has a 'lesion' that he has been unable to heal. He needs the best diet possible to help his immune system.

2. NO more vaccinations, until he is completely healed. You may need to seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form.

3. Parasites--make sure he is negative for intestinal parasites and heartworm.

4. Immune support, try one of the following added to his food.

5. Homeopathic remedy--Three remedies come up that would be effective for him.
Silicea, Sulphur or Lachesis.

If this appeared AFTER he had a vaccination, I would give the Sulphur 30C or 200C one time daily for 3 days, then stop.

If this appeared after a RABIES vaccination, then I would give the Lachesis. Especially, if he has a tendency to bleed anywhere else. Same dose as the Sulphur.

If none of the above applies, then he should have the Silicea 30C or 200C.

Place one pellet in a 2oz dropper bottle. Fill with Spring Water, success, (hit the bottle against the palm of your hand) 20 times. Give him 1/2 dropperful by mouth ONE time daily for 3 days.

Send me an update in 2 weeks.

Or find a holistic veterinarian who can examine him in person, and evaluate the 'progress', or response to the remedy.