Sammi lost his buddy

by Carol
(Keyport, NJ, USA)

Sammi with Duncan's baby Max

Sammi with Duncan's baby Max

Sammi with Duncan's baby Max
Duncan with his baby Max

My dog of 12 years passed in August; I took Sammi 7 years ago and he and Duncan were INSEPARABLE... Sammi was active, social, playful, protective and well behaved. He loved Duncan, plain and simple.

Since Duncan's passing, I wanted to start walking him regularly... (used to let them out in the yard) he gets so excited but when I get him out he's not really thrilled - tail between his legs, very nervous.

I make sure to keep him away from traffic, and he's "okay" on the outbound trip. As soon as I change direction to go home, he's pulling me - can't wait to get home. Not interested in any other dogs, people and won't even take his favorite treat.

I don't want him to think this is punishment... he's a gentleman on the leash. I want him to enjoy it. Especially, I'm moving - to an apt.; no yard - he will only be walked, but I will take him to a dog park when he can deal with it.

I feel so badly for him; I ordered a thundershirt and bought a calming supplement; so far the supplement hasn't done anything and waiting for the thundershirt. A trainer said that he was socially dependent on Duncan and is basically an introverted dog....

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Dog anxiety.