Safe ingredients for dog cookies

by Kath
(Roswell, GA)

Are all of these ingredients safe for dogs? I'm planning to bake cookies for my dog and have a recipe that includes all of the following:

canola oil
rice syrup
barley malt
orange extract
vanilla extract
salt
baking soda
ground cinnamon
ground coriander
wheat pastry flour
finely grated dried coconut

Comments for Safe ingredients for dog cookies

Online Response to safe ingredients for dog cookies

Hi Kath,
The spices,cinnamon and coriander,vanilla and orange extracts and canola oil are not very healthy for your dog. Your dog may not like the spices anyway. If you wish to bake some healthy treats for your dog, check out our page on Recipes, under dog biscuits. (Dog Biscuits Recipe Ideas at
http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/dog-biscuits-recipe.html)

Instead of using rice syrup, try unsulfured molasses. And instead of canola oil, try a vegetable oil, butter, or meat drippings.

The rest of your ingredients are ok. If your dog has a weight problem, then avoid baking treats, especially with too much oil or fat, and just stick to fruits and vegetables for treats, such as raw carrots, pieces of apple or cantaloupe.

10 Best Dog Food Options,
Homemade Dog Food Recipes,
Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Food Diet - Dog Food, Dog Treats & Homemade Dog Food Recipes Section

Safe ingredients?

My understanding was that dogs should not eat vegetable oil since it is over-processed, unsafe and usually GMO. Just like margarine, the ingredient used in making this product are not far from using plastic. Canola oil isn't much better. Stick with butter or the meat drippings. If your dog has any type of skin condition try to avoid Wheat and sugars including molasses.

My Online Vet Response for: Safe Ingredients for Dog cookies

Thank you for your concern regarding safe oils used in cooking. My response above states NOT to use canola oil, and instead use "vegetable oil, butter or meat drippings". Coconut oil is a vegetable oil and is one of the safer oils to use for cooking.

Also, the above question asked about making dog cookies--therefore, these would be TREATS, and contribute to only a small percentage of the diet. I am not recommending this be the 'main' food for a dog.

P.S. If you've found this service or our web site helpful, please "Like" us
by clicking the like button at the top of the left
margin
. Thank you!