Sack-like growth hanging from dog's face

by Karen
(Springfield, MO)

McKenzie's facial growth

McKenzie's facial growth

McKenzie's facial growth

The first sign of my dog's tumor was 9 months ago. It is now almost sack-like, hanging from her face. Current size is approx 3 inches wide by 2 inches.

At first it was slow growing. Within about 3 months, it was about half the size of today (see photo). It grew quickly after 3 months but the rate of growth seems to have stabilized over the past 30 days.

For the past 4-5 months, it has been continually wet and oozing either an odorous liquid or droplets of blood. She does not seem to be bothered by the growth, nor in any pain. She will occasionally rub her face on her sheet but still no signs of frustration or pain of any kind.

A Vet examined the tumor and determined that it was not likely cancerous and said that it would be an easy removal but did not recommend surgery due to her age. I clean it continually with hydrogen peroxide adding gauze pads during times of heavier bleeding, holding the pads in place with an expandable tubelike bandage.

During the early months of the growth, I did apply neosporin but with no noticable results. I am reading online about a product called Neoplasene. Wondering if this product may reduce the size of the tumor or if you may be aware of any other product that will help dry it up, reduce its size, etc.

McKenzie is an otherwise healthy 13 year old Great Dane female weighing about 130 lbs.

Any information, suggestions, or ideas will be so appreciated.

Comments for Sack-like growth hanging from dog's face

My Online Vet Response For: Sack-like growth hanging from dog's face

Hi Karen,
"McKenzie is an otherwise healthy 13 year old Great Dane weighing about 130 lbs."
She would have to be otherwise healthy to attain an age of 13 years! That is fantastic!!

I agree with your veterinarian's assessment that this mass is likely benign. The problem at this time, since it has ulcerated and is bleeding, is the possibility of infection. Keeping it clean with hydrogen peroxide and covered is an excellent way to prevent infection.

And NO MORE vaccinations! In Dr. Richard Pitcairn's book, Natural Health for Dogs and Cats, he states that giving a dog with cancer or tumors, a vaccination, is like throwing gasoline on a fire.

The Neoplasene you refer to is a product from Buck Mountain Botanicals. It needs to be used under the supervision of a veterinarian. It works by creating a 'counter-irritant' to inflame the tissue so the body will work to destroy the tumor cells. It can be very painful and cause a severe amount of swelling and secondary infection.

You might want to consider homeopathy, a system of medicine founded over 200 years ago by Dr. Samuel Hahnemann that is MUCH more gentle on the body. The homeopathic remedies are given by mouth.

There are a number of homeopathic remedies that would be appropriate for McKenzie. It would be best to seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to manage her case. One remedy that is good for bleeding tumors (that are benign) is Phosphorus. (Although, there are over 170 remedies that come up in a repertory search!)

While you are searching for a holistic veterinarian knowledgeable in Homeopathy, you might try giving McKenzie either the dry pellet or a pellet dissolved in Spring Water, Phosphorus 6c or 12c, TWO times daily for 3-6 weeks.

My Online Vet Response for: Sack-like Growth hanging from dog's face PART TWO

Hi Karen,
Here is the rest of my response.

To give by dry pellet, pull out the corner of her mouth and just drop in one pellet. Do not touch the pellet with your fingers. Take the cap off the vial, and turn the vial over to drop one pellet into the cap, and from there put it into her inner lip pouch.

She does not necessarily have to swallow it. If it is on her mucous membranes, then it will be absorbed into her system. OR, you can dissolve one pellet in a glass dropper bottle, and fill with Spring Water. And squirt it into her mouth/gums/tongue to be absorbed.

by: McKenzey's Mom

Thank you Dr. Tillman.

follow up on sack-like growth
by: Karen

Just a quick follow up regarding McKenzie's sack-like growth. The growth has remained about the same size and condition. Sometimes a lot of drainage appears, other times, it seems drier.

I am continuing to clean the area daily, and using hydro peroxide multiple times per day. I have a head band type stretchable bandage that holds a large piece of gauge bandage in place and I use this method on days when the drainage level is high. She isn't too crazy about having it on her head but she does tolerate it and gives me dirty looks!!

It has been suggested by a vet that I give her an antibiotic during the first 5 days of each month in order to keep infection at bay. I may do that.

At 13 yrs old, a Great Dane usually has so many issues. Her back is is weak and shaky, her back feet roll under when she walks, and she gets out of breath quickly after walking around outside to go potty, especially in this awful heat we are experiencing now. Otherwise, she is happy and eating well, happy in her big comfy bed with the A/C on high !!!

My Online Vet Response for: Sack-like growth hanging from dog's face

Hi Karen,
Thank you for posting this update on McKenzie! The suggestion to give an antibiotic for the first 5 days of each month, called 'pulse therapy', is a good idea. It is NOT holistic, but considering all of her other health issues, it would be a good way to prevent infection (from this open draining growth) from affecting the rest of her system.

Have you also supplemented her immune system? And I would also suggest adding acidophilus/Probiotics to her food, especially for those 5 days when she is on antibiotics.

Here are a few immune support supplements:

Please continue to keep us posted by coming back to this page and clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below.

- Canine Tumors (Dog Cancer),

Growth on dogs foot

I was very grateful to read your post, our story is very similar. We have a Boarder Collie, a wonderful faithful old sheep dog with a regal look and a great sense of fun.

A sac like growth began on his back left paw, as it grew I felt pretty awful about it so took him to the vet who cut it out and did a biopsy which was benign. Quite quickly it began to grow again and now it is so large and unsightly and the dog so affectionate and loyal that it is very distressing. It doesn't seem to pain him but it is getting hard for him to move quickly.

Early on in this I remembered I had used Silver Colloid and I thought by observation that it did seem less red and minimally smaller. As I took him to the vet and it grew again I didn't use it again but now I think I will give it a last try. I have to work out how I can attach a poultice to a large active dogs foot. I used Silver Colloid many time to draw out grass seeds from my little dog. It is also a brilliant Antiseptic for dogs and humans and, I understand, contains a natural antibiotic that is the only one that has any effect on a virus. It seems to facilitate skin growth with only minor scarring. It works for me. Thanks for the posts.F