Royal Canine Hepatic for Dogs

by Gina Frias
(Guaynabo, Puerto Rico)

I have recently adopted a 12 year old schnauzer that has been given Royal Canine Hepatic for 2 years by her previous owner. Sometimes she gets diarrhea, she has dysplasia, can't see or hear very well. But she sleeps well and eats everyday.

I'm attaching her last to lab work done on her to see if we can better her diet.

Thanks, Gina

Comments for Royal Canine Hepatic for Dogs

My Online Vet Response for: Royal Canine Hepatic for Dogs

August 14, 2014

Hi Gine,

You are amazing helping to rescue all these dogs!

From the lab work you have submitted, comparing April 2013 to June 2013, Luna's blood work has improved. I am more suspicious the increase in liver enzymes may be secondary to pancreatitis, not primary liver disease. You can see that as the Amylase, (pancreas enzyme), has decreased, so have the liver enzymes, and she is less anemic now.

The periodic diarrhea may be due to low grade pancreatitis. Royal Canine Hepatic diet may not be too bad for her if it is canned. Basically a diet that would be best for BOTH Liver and Pancreas, would be a diet composed of:
1. Low Fat--less than 5%
2. High Carbohydrate--Fiber greater than 20-30%
3. Medium Protein--15-20%

Therefore, either a homemade diet or canned. I am not sure of her weight, or I could advise on the proper calorie intake. In Dr. Richard Pitcairn's book, 'Natural Health for Dogs and Cats', has specific recipes.

She should have Pet-tinic 1-1/2 cc by mouth or in food TWO times daily. This is available on line.

She should have Pancreatrophin for pancreas support, from Standard Process. This is available from amazon.com Give her 1/2 to 1 tablet in her food. Milk thistle 8mg/lb two times daily mixed into food. Milk thistle is available from health food stores.

Basically, she should be fed more vegetables, including green beans, carrots, yams, and a small amount of rice and small amount of chicken or turkey breast, RAW or slightly cooked. If she weighs 12-15 lbs she needs 300 calories/day or 150 calories TWO times daily.

Add Acidophilus 1/4-1/8 the amount for a human, to her diet on those occasions she has loose stool. A fecal sample should be done to rule out a
parasite causing the loose stool.