Round Rings of Inflammation on Dogs

by Gina
(Natick, MA)

My dogs keep getting these round rings of inflammation. All 3 of my dogs have had them. They are all Pit Bulls. 1 is deceased now. My Vet gave me Genesis spray and I used it accordingly. It takes it away but then a few weeks later they reappear. They get them in the groin, stomach and inner thigh areas.

I ran out of Genesis Spray and am now using Hydrocortisone for pets... It takes it away only for it to come back in a few weeks. I am currently changing them over from Zignature Lamb to a mix of Stella and Chewy's raw frozen turkey mixed with some Honest Kitchen Embark and still adding the Zignature until they are weened off. I have tried everything else and can't figure out a cause. My vet has no answers either. Sometimes I think maybe it starts from a cut or scratch as they love to wrestle, but I think it's too often. I do not use carpet treatments and I only use hypoallergenic laundry soaps and shampoos as I have very bad allergies and sensitivities as well.

Any advice?

Comments for Round Rings of Inflammation on Dogs

My Online Vet Response for: Round Rings of Inflammation on Dogs

March 1, 2015

Hi Gina,

From the photo you submitted, it almost appears to be similar to a petechial hemorrhage. This is an area of bleeding that occurs due to an autoimmune condition. A blood panel to check for autoimmune diseases should be done to rule out Idiopathic Throbocytopenia, or Immune Mediated Auto Immune Anemia. I would also rule out Demodex mange, with a skin scraping.

Are your dogs related?

Do they itch or scratch the areas?

Pitbull dogs (American Staffordshire Terriers) are known for having poor immune systems. Your plan to switch to a RAW diet is a good idea. I would also add to each meal 1-2 TBSP of raw ground beef, chicken, turkey or lamb. NO RAW pork or fish. Since there is Vitamin C in raw meat, that would help boost their immune systems.

More immune supplements,
1. Standard Process, Canine Immune System Supplement
2. Mega C, http://belfield.com/product/mega-c-plus-8-oz-226-4-gm/

Also, avoiding vaccinations and toxic flea and tick products. See our page on Natural Flea prevention, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/dog-flea-medicine.html and check out EVOLV, from wondercide.com.

A holistic veterinarian could write an exemption form to avoid vaccinations.