Round Peeling Red Patches On Dog's Stomach, Inner Thighs & Chest

by Chris
(Sacramento, CA)

Large view of how far dog rash has spread

Closer view of stomach rash
Close up view of dog rash
Current Picture of her mood (curious)

My dog first began having a rash on her stomach area about 8 or 9 months ago. The rash started on her hind quarters/back of thighs and looks more like round peeling areas of skin, the peeling skin patches are all over her stomach inner thighs and chest. Some of them look somewhat like they have pus in them.

She doesn’t lick excessively, however I have caught her licking her stomach and potty areas a few times. She still scratches her face occasionally and nibbles on the outside of her rear legs. It really does not seem to bother her.

When the rash first started I took her to the vet. The vet asked if anyone in the family had started showing signs of rashes on their skin and when we said no she said it could possibly be mange and did a swab test on the rash.

The test came back negative so she said it was a bacterial infection and prescribed her Cephalexin to get rid of it. The medicine worked and the rash went away in about a week.

A few months later the rash came back so I took her to the vet again they said she is probably allergic to her food. At the time I was feeding her Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy Dry Dog Food.

She was having problems with her poop being too soft and watery so the vet said that could be caused by her food being to rich for her. They prescribed more Cephalexin and I changed her dog food to Nutro Max Adult Dry Dog Food.

The medicine made the rash go away and her poop went back to normal because of the food change.

About 2-3 weeks ago the rash began to return. It was not as bad as it is in the pictures so I gave her the little medicine I had left from the second vet visit and it got a little better until recently.

Within the last week the rash has begun to spread and look worse however it still does not seem to bother her. I haven’t changed anything in her diet in the last week and haven’t made any serious changes to her environment.

Yesterday I tried feeding her chicken breasts and plain rice to see if that helped at all however the rash is still like it is in the pictures.

Her activeness has not changed throughout this whole process she is still as hyper and loving as when I first got her.

Since I have had her I have had her I have been using febreze for carpets on my room floor however I haven’t used it in the last few weeks.

She is on K9 advantix 2 for the last 3 months.

She is a 1 and a half yr. old Yellow Labrador Retriever. I have had her since she was 2 months old. She is spayed and has all of her shots.

Comments for Round Peeling Red Patches On Dog's Stomach, Inner Thighs & Chest

My Online Vet Response for: Round Peeling Red Patches On Dog's Stomach, Inner Thighs & Chest

June 29, 2013

Hi Chris,

The photos you submitted show that your dog has what is called superficial pyoderma. This is caused by a bacteria in the skin.

Bacteria is normally on the skin, but if the immune system is compromised, or weakened, then the bacteria goes into the hair follicles and produces the 'pimples' and the rash. And that is why the antibiotics you give will help for a short time. The antibiotic is killing the superficial bacteria, but is not helping the underlying problem, which is the weakened immune system.

The loose stool is probably caused not only by the change in food, but also DRY food is harder to digest, and the continual repeat of antibiotics is killing the 'good' bacteria in her intestine.

You said, at this time, she was 1 1/2 years of age, 18 months, and this problem started about 8-9 months ago. That would be at about 9 months old, soon after she was spayed and had all of her vaccinations. Those procedures are BIG immune system suppressors!

So, here's the plan:

1. Boost her immune system---supplement her diet with some immune support.

2. Improve her diet to help her digestion and improve her immune system with better nutrition. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, and consider starting her on a RAW diet.

Or at least start by decreasing the DRY FOOD diet, and gradually adding in some canned food, such as the canned Nutro Max (since she is used to the dry Nutro Max), and then adding in some raw meat. NO RAW PORK or RAW FISH. Raw chicken, turkey, beef or lamb 1-2 TBSP per meal would be fine.

3. Add Acidophilus to each meal. About 1/2 the human dose. You can buy it in capsule form, open the capsule and add it to each meal. This will help to replenish the 'good' bacteria back to her intestine. Keep adding this for 2-3 months.

4. Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian, for homeopathic remedies to treat 'vaccinosis'. This is a syndrome that is seen when chronic disease occurs after a vaccination.

5. Use a mild oatmeal shampoo to bathe her one time per week. This will help to remove more surface bacteria, but will not dry out her skin. You may need to bathe her weekly for at least 6-8 weeks, while diet and supplements are working internally.

6. Do NOT use toxic flea/tick products (like K-9 Advantix) on her already compromised skin and immune system. See our page on Dog Flea Treatment. Check out Wondercide, made from cedar oil.

7. NO MORE VACCINATIONS. Find a holistic veterinarian to write and exemption form to avoid any more vaccinations!

my dog has the same thing

I noticed day ago my dog got red spots on his stomach and it got worse over night and we don't realreally have the money to take him to the vet but what could we use to help him!

my dog has the same thing

My Online Vet Response For: Round Peeling Red Patches On Dog's Stomach, Inner Thighs & Chest

August 6, 2014

Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).
Please click here to sign up and submit your question and photos . I'll then get back to you right away at the bottom of your newly created web page.

Same problem NEW

I have a four month old Vizsla retriever mix. I rescued her from the Humane Society about a month ago. She was in a litter of seven that were flea infested when surrendered to the Humane Society. Two of her littermates had sarcoptic mange. I had her tested for mange and it came back negative… That was about two weeks ago.

She is getting the same red spots but on her neck and in one of her ears. She's constantly scratching and gnawing at her hind legs. As I look at her skin for fleas I don't see anything… I've had dogs before so I know what those look like. I am currently feeding her the Costco brand of grain free puppy food. The Humane Society said she is possibly allergic to the food I'm giving her or something like grass.

She starts to whimper a little bit as she is constantly scratching like it is irritating for her. She's always scratching her face and neck with her hind legs. I'm single mom so I can't really afford to take her to the vet multiple times.

Activity level seems to be the same, nothing is really changed with that… But I'm really worried about her constant scratching and these red spots that are showing up.

My Online Vet Response for: Round Peeling Red Patches on Dog's Stomach, Inner Thighs & Chest NEW

August 1, 2015

That is wonderful of you to take on a young puppy with health issues. At this time I am no longer consulting for the Organic-Pet-Digest.

It would be best for a veterinarian to check him and find out what is wrong. Or better yet a holistic veterinarian.