Round and Red Dog Skin Rash - Not Raised

by Dawn F.
(Orchard Park, NY, USA)

Belly and upper hind leg area

Belly and upper hind leg area

Belly and upper hind leg area
Belly and upper hind leg area
Arm pit area

My 5 year old adopted & spayed greyhound, Maya, started with one red spot on her hind leg two days ago. It was a perfect circle. Then there were a couple yesterday. Today she has them all over her lower belly area near the top of her hind legs (see pics).

Checked for fleas and did not find any. She is NOT itching them and has no change in behavior. Still her happy docile self.

She also has some red spots under her arm pit area (see pic) She did do a lot of running this weekend around the yard due to the nice weather. Also a lot of laying in the grass. We do not put pesticides on our lawn, but live in a community that our neighbors do.

None of the spots are raised.

She is on a raw food diet. Bravo. Gets vegetables, salmon oil, wheat germ, & yogurt.

I have homeopathic remedies.

Use Shaklee laundry detergent.

No bath recently.

No vaccinations in 3 years.

My conventional husband just put some flea medicine on her.

Comments for Round and Red Dog Skin Rash - Not Raised

Additionally
by: Dawn

Also, the center is white.

My Online Vet Response for: Round and Red Dog Skin Rash- Not Raised

Hi Dawn,

Your 5 year old Greyhound may have a condition called 'petechiation' which is characterized by bleeding under the skin. It is usually caused by an autoimmune condition, such as too few platelets, exposure to a toxin that contributes to hemorrhage, or there are diseases caused by tick bites such as Ehrlichiosis that will cause bleeding.

I do not know what type of flea medicine your husband used, but I would immediately start her on the homeopathic remedy, Phosphorus 30C or 200C every 8 hours for 3-5 days. (This remedy is a good one to control hemorrhage.)

In the meantime, contact a holistic or even conventional veterinarian, for a complete blood panel that includes a CBC with a platelet count, and consider a 'tick' panel to rule out tick borne diseases.

Use NON-toxic flea products such as EVOLV by Wondercide.com, and continue the healthy diet, and you are doing a good job in limiting her vaccinations!