Rough, Dry, Fast-Growing Growth on Dog's Muzzle

by Sherry
(Laurel, MD)

Within the last few days we noticed a bump appearing near our dog's nose on her muzzle. It grew very quickly and is rough and dry to the touch (see picture). It doesn't seem to bother her but she doesn't seem to like when we touch it. It is currently about 1/2 inch in diameter.

Is this something we can treat at home, or do we need to take her to our local vet?

Kora is a 6 1/2 year old German Rottweiler in good health.

Comments for Rough, Dry, Fast-Growing Growth on Dog's Muzzle

My Online Vet Response for: Rough, Dry, Fast-Growing Growth on Dog's Muzzle

August 5, 2014

Hi Sherry,
The photo of Kora's nose area looks more like a wound or ulcer, instead of a growth.

I would suggest that you use Calendula tincture 2-3 times daily, and apply it to her nose area with either your finger or Q-tip, whichever is the least stressful for her.

Calendula is an herb that is useful for helping gaping wounds to heal. It will not hurt Kora if she licks some of it and swallows it.

If this area is NOT starting to heal in the next 72 hours, please take her to a holistic veterinarian. It may be necessary to do a bacterial and/or fungal culture, skin scraping, etc.

Click here to find a holistic veterinarian in your area . Another resource for vets knowledgeable in homeopathy is AVH.org .

P.S. If you've found this service or our web site helpful, please "Like" us by clicking the like button at the top of the left margin . Thank you!

Much better!
by: Sherry

I'm happy to report that Kora's nose healed nicely with the application of the calendula tincture. After a couple of days we began to see an improvement and now it is completely healed, it just needs more hair to grow in over it.

My Online Vet Response for: Rough, Dry, Fast-Growing Growth on dog's Muzzle

August 30, 2014

Hi Sherry,
Thank you so much for the update. I am glad to hear that Kora is healed and back to normal now!