Rocky's Homemade Surprise

by J A Gillim
(Evansville, Indiana)

4 lbs chicken thighs skin on

3 lbs ground beef 80/20

24 oz of frozen veggies- carrots, green beans, peas, squash etc your choice

2 cups of rolled oats

Cover chicken thighs with just enough water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook until done. (about 45 minutes) remove when done to cool.

Add the oats to the chicken broth and follow instructions on the box

Grind all veggies in the food processor and add with the ground beef to the broth. These don't need to cook for very long so somewhere around 3 or 4 minutes on medium.

Debone and remove the skin from the chicken thighs and add to the mixture...just stir in no need to cook anymore.

Rocky is a 90 pound Doberman...this mixture makes enough for a week for him.

I feed a cup and 1/2 of the mixture with a 1/2 cup of kibble (Earthborn) and a heaping tablespoon of pumpkin because I'm not sure of all the vitamins and minerals yet.

He also gets vitamin E in the AM and a 1/2 of a teaspoon of egg shell calcium. In the PM he gets the same amount of food and calcium with an Omega 3. Every other day he gets a probiotic. His vet says he is in excellent shape.

I hope your four-legged friends enjoy it as much as he does.

Comments for Rocky's Homemade Surprise

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Rating
starstarstarstarstar
eggshell calcium NEW
by: j a gillim

eggshell calcium is simply crushing the shells of the eggs that you use in the food or that your family uses. you can use a coffee grinder and make it into a powder. just rinse the eggs off before you crack them and after you crack them and let them dry good.Some people put them in the oven on a super low temp for 15 minutes I never do that I just let them sit out and dry for a day or so. I bagged them up and when I have enough I grind them it's really really simple and very healthy for your dog...a great source of natural calcium.
people have asked for the cost of this food it depends on what you buy in the way of meat I buy all my stuff on sale but I do buy organic vegetables so it runs me anywhere between 18 and $30 a week but you get what you pay for.

Rating
starstarstarstarstar
answer to Rocky's homemade surprise NEW
by: j a gillim

the turmeric I add to a tablespoon of organic coconut oil. the apple cider vinegar I just run over a tablespoon each feeding.I no longer add the vitamin E because it's in the co q10 that I give him which has ubiquinol. i switch up the meat and vegetables a couple times a month HYFR variety and nutrients. Rocky is an 85 pound Doberman he gets two cups twice a day.

Rating
starstarstarstarstar
Details NEW

This is a wonderful recipe! Can you give details about the coq10, vitamin e, turmeric, egg shell calcium, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar and a probiotic. Could you include quantity and brand name/recipe of the probiotic and egg shell calcium? Thank you!

Rating
starstarstarstarstar
Price NEW
by: Jay

Approximately how much does a week's worth of Rocky's food cost you? Thanks for this great recipe!

Rating
starstarstarstarstar
answer to the question how much do I feed rocky NEW
by: j a gillim

rocky eats 2 cups twice a day of homemade food. I no longer add any kibble at all and I've changed some of the ingredients.
6-lbs ground chuck
6 eggs
2 med zucchinis
2 lrg sweet potatoe
3/4 lb baby carrots
1/4 head of cauliflower
2-3 cups of rolled oats
3 stalks of celery
2 apples
2 bananas
6 oz blueberries or blackberries
this makes 1 weeks worth of food for rocky at 2 cups twice a day. He also get a coq10, vitamin e, turmeric, egg shell calcium, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar and a probiotic.

Rating
starstarstarstarstar
How much do you feed Rocky NEW

Just wondering how much you feed Rocky?

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Homemade Dog Food Recipes.