Right eye tearing with clear stringy discharge 2 to 3 times per day

by Tammy
(AR)

Rt. Eye

Rt. Eye

We have had our little 5 year old yorkie to the ER vet and our regular vet. The ER vet treated him for mild conjunctivitis and gave us neo poly bac ointment. I used that for about a week with no improvement in the right eye.

So, we followed up with our regular vet and he stained the eye, and examined it and didn't find any type of ulceration or any other cause he could see that would cause the watering. He then changed his ointment to neomycin and polymyxin B and Dexamethasone ointment.

He is a diabetic, and weighs 7 lbs. He gets 2.5 u of Humulin N once per day. He has been a diabetic for 4 years. The diabetes followed a severe bout of pancreatitis.

I can wipe the corner of his eye 2-3xs a day and it is a clear stringy discharge.

The ointment we are using now helps somewhat, we have been treating for a week but there is still some tearing.

I fear cataracts at some point because of the diabetes. But, would my regular vet and the ER vet not tell me if they felt they were present? I hope you can help! Thanks for your reply!

Comments for Right eye tearing with clear stringy discharge 2 to 3 times per day

My Online Vet Response for: Right eye tearing with clear stringy discharge 2 to 3 times per day

Hi Tammy,
He is very cute, but so young to have started with diabetes! With the diagnosis of conjunctivitis in his right eye, and since diabetics seem to have weak immune systems, it may be he was just more susceptible than a 'normal' dog. Curious that it seems to be only in one eye, though.

The NeoPolyDex ointment, containing Dexamethasone (a cortisone) should definitely help decrease the inflammation. Although, once you stop I am not sure if it will flare up again.

Since he is a diabetic, and such a small size, I would be a little worried about continuing medicine that contains cortisone. It may make his blood sugar more difficult to regulate. It may be best to try using saline just to rinse that eye, 2-3 times daily for the next week, and give his system a break from the cortisone ointment.

In the meantime, he needs to be on a healthy diet to help his immune system AND his diabetes and keeping his pancreas healthy. I usually advise a raw diet, such as recommended on our page for 10 Best Dog Food Options. But it seems like you have been managing him fairly well for the past 4 years. You did not give any details on diet, but that may be another topic for a question.

You might also consider some immune system supplements, such as:

As to whether he has cataracts now, it is difficult to tell from the photo you submitted. If you shine a light directly into his eyes, and look through the pupil of his eyes, if there is a cloudiness present, that usually indicates cataracts are developing. If the pupils constrict very small, and it is hard to see through the pupil, I doubt that he has any cataracts.

TO BE CONTINUED IN PART TWO

My Online Vet Response for: Right Eye tearing with clear stringy discharge 2 to 3 times per day PART TWO

Hi Tammy,
Here is the rest of my response.

AND, most important, I would NOT give him any more vaccinations!! With the diabetes, he is not healthy enough for vaccinations. In fact, if this conjunctivitis started after a vaccination was given, that is probably what triggered it. You can seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form to avoid vaccinations.

Reply
by: Tammy

Thank you Dr. Tillman. I can shine a light in his eyes and they look greenish, but I do see the pupil get small with the light.

The other eye is beginning to water. Do you suspect it is some sort of outside allergen?

As far as his food goes, I do not feed him raw now. I try to feed a higher fiber diet to help the weight maintenance and also for the diabetes, and I also give him milk thistle and supplements I found support liver health. But, I am all for learning about new things to help him be healthier.

Is there a good recommendation for eye health supplement wise? How do I make a purified saline wash or can i purchase some?

Thanks again Dr. Tillman. I feel better about our baby boy! He is my little shadow and would do whatever it takes for him to be and feel good!

Hi Tammy,
Your test, called the Pupillary Light Reflex, by shining a light in his eyes, shows that he PASSED! No cataracts! The greenish color is due to the reflection of light off the 'Tapetum Lucidum' on his retina. All animals have this layer, EXCEPT pigs and humans. It is how animals can see better in the dark with this special layer. And if you are able to see that, it means his eyes are really clear.

For more details on diabetic diets for dogs, Dr. Richard Pitcairn, a veterinarian that teaches homeopathy to veterinarians, has written a wonderful book called Natural Health for Dogs and Cats. His book contains more information on use of supplements to help regulate blood sugar, plus diet tips to help maintain a more level blood sugar.

As it is not clear what caused this irritation (possibly allergens, since the other eye is starting to drain now), it would be a good idea to flush his eyes with saline, and provide something to soothe the tissues.

To make saline (from Dr. Pitcairn's book), add 1/4 tsp sea salt to 1 cup of distilled or filtered water, to clean his eyes, as often as needed. To soothe the eyes, you can put one drop of almond oil into each eye 1-2 times daily.

Giving him Milk Thistle is wonderful for the liver. The dose for a dog is 8 mg per lb. Since your dog weighs 7 lbs, he only needs 56 mg two times daily.

There is no specific 'eye' health supplement. You just need to support his overall immune system. Treating the WHOLE patient is what HOLISTIC medicine, (sometimes spelled, 'Wholistic') is all about!

reply
by: Tammy

Thank you so much Dr. Tillman! I will get this book and will start the solution and oil instead of the ointment! I appreciate your advice, I really do! And Reece sends sweet Yorkie kisses!

Hi Tammy,
You and Reece are very welcome.

Keep us posted!