Reddish pink bump on dog's shoulderblade

About a month ago I noticed a reddish pink bump on my dog's left shoulder blade (she is a 3 year old pitt (possible mix)). I am constantly hugging and petting her so I am pretty sure it developed around that time.

It hasn't changed shape, color or size in the last month although it has started to grow hair out of it. It doesn't bother her at all and I can touch it and move it around without her even caring.

She has always had dry skin and I have only ever been able to give her a bath in oatmeal shampoo or she will get itchy and have dandruff. I have not change her diet and we have not taken her anywhere different before the growth appeared.

Please help!

Comments for Reddish pink bump on dog's shoulderblade

My Online Vet Response for: Reddish pink bump on Dog's shoulder blade

Hello,
From the photo you submitted of the reddish pink bump, it may be a sebaceous cyst. Since dogs do not have sweat glands in their skin, they have other glands. It is the sebaceous glands that are responsible for supplying oil to each hair follicle and keeping the coat shiny and glossy. If a gland becomes 'clogged' it will enlarge and actually look like a 'bump' in the skin.

You mentioned that she has dry skin and must be bathed often with oatmeal shampoo, otherwise she will 'get itchy and have dandruff'. Therefore, I suspect that her sebaceous or oil glands are not functioning as they should. To improve her skin, her diet may need to be changed.

I would advise NO DRY DOG FOOD, and consider a change to a RAW diet. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options. Adding in Omega 3 fish oils may also help if the change to canned and/or raw diet is not helping.

A holistic veterinarian may be your best bet to evaluate this 'bump' to determine whether it is a sebaceous cyst (and needs to be lanced) or if it is a wart or something else.