Red Swollen Hairless Spots on Dog's Snout

by Marissa G.
(Canton, Texas)

About three weeks ago my dog caught and killed a rat. At that time, I noticed 2 areas on his snout that were bleeding. I assumed the rat had bitten/scratched him.

After about a week there were three areas on his snout and two on his lips. Of the three on his snout, two were the same spots where he had bled when he caught the rat.

The areas on top are hairless, pink, swollen, and have small, needlepoint blood spots. I am a nurse and do not believe these are infected scratches. There is no oozing or discharge of any kind.

The one in his left lip is hairless and pink but is not swollen. There is one more spot, very small on the edge of his right lip that is pink and hairless.

I tried cortisone cream which appeared to reduce the swelling slightly. I also tried anti-fungal cream which only appeared to burn.

My dog is a 10 month old dog who is male, not neutered, and a mix of rottweiler, boxer, and border collie. He weighs about 75-80 pounds. He is up to date on his rabies shot.

Thank you.

Comments for Red Swollen Hairless Spots on Dog's Snout

Additional info
by: Marissa

It started oozing bloody puss last night. Just the big one. But seems to be tiny pockets of it.

My Online Vet Response for: Red Swollen Hairless Spots on Dog's Snout

April 25, 2014

Hi Marissa,
Just from the photos and the description of the lesions at this time:
"oozing bloody puss last night.... tiny pockets of it"

I am very suspicious that he has an infection of a 'deep' fungus. There are several species that are found along the Mississippi River, close to where Canton, Texas is located. Your dog also fits the age, sex and breed of dogs that are commonly affected. (Less than 2 years old, male, and having a long snout).

Blastomycosis, Actinomycosis, or Cryptococcosis are the fungus species I am most concerned about. These are diagnosed with a fungus culture, or even an impression smear could identify it. Conventional treatment is with one of the oral (systemic) anti-fungal medications.

In the meantime, you could try some homeopathic remedies, while you are waiting on a diagnosis.
Hepar sulph 12C or 30C one pellet in a 2 oz glass dropper bottle, filled with Spring Water. Give him 1/2 dropperful by mouth TWO times daily for at least 3 weeks. Treatment may need to be adjusted accordingly, depending on his response. (increase in potency, decrease in frequency, or change of remedy)

Also, he will need to be fed a raw diet, Primal, Nature's Variety, BRAVO! etc. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food options, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html

NO DRY DOG FOOD.

NO Vaccinations at all for the next 3 years! Find a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form for him.

TO BE CONTINUED IN PART TWO

My Online Vet Response for: Red Swollen Hairless Sptos on Dog's Snout PART TWO

April 25, 2014
Hi Marissa,
Here is the continuation of my response:

Immune Support, try one of these,

Also, use apple cider vinegar, (diluted 50:50 with water) to swab on all lesions one to two times daily.

My dog has the same thing
by: Rick Doria

Is there any way to contact the original poster?

My dog has the same thing
by: Rick Doria

December 17, 2014

Hi Rick
If Marissa put her contact info into the system as a subscriber, then any posting that we make will be sent to her. As she was the original 'poster' with the above subject matter, every post will go to her mail box.

Marissa has not responded since she posted this in April, to give us any update on her dog, so I am not sure how he is doing. But I will send a note to the webmaster to ask if there is any other way to contact her.