Red Spots on Dog's Groin & Lower Belly

by Sdominique
(Miami)

Hi,

I am the owner of Lola, the dog with thrombocytopenia due to a reaction to an sulfa based antibiotic. I wrote to you a few weeks ago.

Today I noticed a few red spots on her belly and near her groin. I am very concerned because she is recovering from anemia and thrombocytopenia.

She has had three complete blood counts done and according her last one three weeks ago, all of her platelets and blood cells have been back to normal, including her reticulocytes.

Lola came back from the groomers two days ago , so I'm not sure how long the spots have been there.

I don't think she has been itching or licking more than usual.

She's been on the contrary very energetic since I have changed her diet. (I recently switched her to an half raw ground meet beef, and half canned grain free diet.

I have also been giving her acidophilus and Immuplex by standard process day and night like you have suggested(I just started two days ago).

Please let me know what your opinion and suggestions are.

Comments for Red Spots on Dog's Groin & Lower Belly

My Online Vet Response for: Red Spots on Dog's Groin & Lower Belly

January 22, 2015

Hi Sdominique,
From the photos you submitted, (and one is out of focus) I think that Lola has a mild superficial dermatitis. I do not think these spots are 'petechiations', from thrombocytopenia.

1. Her blood counts are now normal, (or they were a few weeks ago).
2. She is feeling good, with good energy.
3. The location is a common place for 'skin fold' dermatitis, that you would see from moisture retained in the vulvar folds and/or abdominal area.

Treatment would be bathing with a baby shampoo one time per week.
Use a cotton or gauze with hydrogen peroxide to clean any new spots that appear in between the baths, every day as needed.

And especially, if she is WORSE and more spots appear. She may definitely need a homeopathic remedy.