Red Spot on Dog's Lower Lip/Chin

by Lisa
(NJ)

My 3 1/2 year old bichon/poodle mix has a red spot on his lower lip. It's flat, neither moist nor dry and not sensitive to touch. But it seems a little bigger today than yesterday.

I can't tell if he hurt himself or has some kind of infection. The spot is redder than it looks in the first picture.

He is a bit compulsive about licking people sometimes, just endlessly, but that's not a new thing.

My daughter describes the emergence of this spot like this: Yesterday the area was dark--normal--with a small red spot area. Then it grew some, and because there are still some black spots, it looks almost like the dark skin is peeling off, revealing red underneath.

One thing I am wondering about: I gave him a bit of a cooked egg yolk on top of his Wellness grain-free food. Could he be allergic to it? (I gave him a bit on his meals yesterday and today. And one of my dogs threw up yesterday---not sure which---though they have been fine today.)

He seems totally fine and normal in all other respects. Good appetite. Not itching that spot.

Comments for Red Spot on Dog's Lower Lip/Chin

My Online Vet Response for Red Spot on Dog's Lower Lip/Chin

Hi Lisa,
From the photos you submitted, it looks very similar to the eruptions that occur from contact allergy to plastic dishes. A food allergy would occur on his face and/or body, and appear as hives or would be red and very itchy.

Other possibilities would be canine acne, caused from Staph bacteria, or some other contact irritation. You did not mention if there was anything on the inside of his lower lip.

Feeding him from a stainless steel bowl, or ceramic would be the healthiest. And also a non-plastic water bowl would be best.

Seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian would be ideal, to determine the cause, and the best treatment. To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click on the link below

- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Mouth, Teeth & Gums Section

lisa's reply

His food bowl is stainless steel and his water bowl is ceramic, so I doubt it's a plastic allergy.

So maybe it's a staph infection. I don't see anything special on the inside of his lower lip.

I have a holistic vet and will go see her.

What was the Cause
by: Randy B

Hi Lisa, did you fing out a cause of the redness.. My yellow lab has what looks like the same thing but we cant afford a vet right now..

same problem

hi there
i just wonder if you found the cause of the spot on your dogs mouth we have the same bichon with almost identicle spot!! wierd!! hes been a little quiet today, but hasnt eaten anything new that i know of.
he's a fussy eater so wouldnt eat anything whilst out on a walk.
any help would be amazing thank you xx

red spot

As I recall, the vet figured it was some kind of bacterial infection. I do remember he was put on meds, antibiotics I think. I forget exactly because it was awhile ago. The pills cleared things up right away.

(I would have answered sooner but couldn't find my password/username.)

red on lower lip NEW
by: Smokey

My shepherd/lab has the same thing.just noticed it. He had a puppy visitor the past few days. He seems to be a tad bit lethargic and his poo was soft.should we be worried? Dlclamon@yahoo.com he does eat from a stainless bowl but drinks from plastic. He is almost 6 and always has. I'm calling my petvet in the am. I put triple antibiotic save on it but it's not bleeding. Idk thanks