Red Sores on Dog's Muzzle

by Lisa
(Louisiana)

Red sore muzzle

Red sore muzzle

Red sore muzzle
Red sore muzzle 2
Loki

My two year old , Loki, has some red bumps on either side of his muzzle. He has suffered on and off with this problem but it has seemed to clear up on it's own in the past. We recently moved to Louisiana and thought it was mosquito bites, but now we are not so sure as it looks the worst it has been at the moment.

He once had a reaction on his muzzle after receiving his puppy vaccinations so we were wondering if it could be some sort of allergy.

He was last vaccinated just under a year ago and received a 3 year rabies vaccination at the time so, thankfully we won't need to revaccinate him for that just yet.

When we first moved here we gave him Advantage multi for heartworm but now we use a tablet called nuheart (we started around 5 months ago) which we order from Australia. We still give the cats Advantage multi. He has had the red bumps on his nose on and off over the past year.

Loki eats raw meat (mostly chicken with ground bones) and some Merrick dry food. He is otherwise healthy and full of energy and very happy and affectionate.

Comments for Red Sores on Dog's Muzzle

Additional info
by: Lisa

I just read my post and see that I wasn't clear about our move: we moved to Louisiana a year ago from the UK.

Also, Loki is a white shepherd who lives inside the house with us but plays in the garden frequently.

He is currently just under 2 and a half years old.

My Online Vet Response For: Red Sores on Dog's Muzzle

July 1, 2014

Hi Lisa,
From the photos you sent of Loki, I am suspicious that he may have either 'puppy pyoderma' or 'contact allergy'. Contact allergy occurs when eating off of plastic food bowls, or rubbing muzzle in artificial turf, contact with wool blanket, or bedding washed in a detergent to which he may have an allergy, or contact with any type of allergen.

Puppy pyoderma is seen in dogs between the ages of 6 months to 2 years old. Characterized by pimples or pustules and swellings on the muzzle and face. It seems to coincide with that time of their life when their immune system is stressed. Such as from rapid growth, vaccinations, surgery for spay or neuter, etc.

From your history, that he had an allergic reaction after a vaccination, I am very suspicious that he may have 'puppy pyoderma'.

Although, please check him out with a veterinarian for Demodex mange, and the fungal disease, ringworm. For Demodectic mange--http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/how-to-treat-dog-mange.html.

1. I suggest that you boost his immune system with Canine Whole Body Support, (made by Standard Process, and available on amazon.com) or one of the following supplements,

2. Continue his raw diet, and make sure that his diet is composed of more than 60%- 70% raw, and only 30-40% dry. It is very important to have adequate moisture from the diet, to maintain healthy skin.

3. Give him Thuya 30C (Thuja occidentalis) one pellet by mouth one time daily for 3-5 days. This will treat for 'vaccinosis'. Vaccinosis is a condition created in a susceptible individual by giving a vaccination. Loki may need a higher potency, available from a licensed holistic veterinarian. And also an exemption from any future vaccinations. A holistic veterinarian can write that.

4. Use only natural flea/tick products, such as EVOLV, from www.wondercide.com.

Just a thought, regarding your heartworm prevention, NuHeart from Australia. This is the same Ivermectin product as Heartgard, which is from the USA. It may be easier to obtain Heartgard if you are now living in the USA, instead of NuHeart, from Australia.

Please keep us posted by coming back to this page and clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below.ea