Red sores on dogs belly

by Brian Ferguson
(St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada)

My dog has been diagnosed with a bacterial skin infection twice in the last two months. Both times he was given antibiotics and medicated shampoo.

He seemed to respond but as soon as the pills ended the rash came back. Because I thought it was a food allergy I have switched him to the raw food diet and he is eating Pawsitively Raw foods and responding well - his eyes and coat look much better but his sores have come back.

I'm not sure if I should go to the vet again, go to a different vet or try natural remedies.

Comments for Red sores on dogs belly

My Online Vet response to Red sores on dog's belly
by: Dr. Lisa Brienen

Hello Brian,

Thanks for the clear pictures.

When the body is reacting to allergens or toxins, the skin is less able to resist an overgrowth of bacteria and secondarily rashes and crusts.

A raw dog food diet can frequently improve the overall body health to such a degree that in many dogs the ongoing skin infections become a thing of the past.

Probiotics can additionally improve the intestinal health so abnormal proteins are not absorbed to create dog (skin) allergies and further prevent recurrent infections.

Essential fatty acids, such as Salmon oil, can help decrease inflammation and improve the health of the skin as well as many other tissues. It is ok to supplement extra even if it is already in the food.

If this skin eruption is just in the groin (check for crusts up under the arms and over the back though) it can be treated topically. A line of effective (and fairly natural) skin products is Zymox Topical Cream. They use natural enzymes to help the skin form a protective barrier to overgrowth of bacteria and yeast.

It is beyond the scope of this response to consider a detailed Chinese Medicine or Homeopathic dermatitis intake so it would definitely be a good idea to contact a holistic veterinarian in your area.

Please keep us posted by clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below.

Dr. Lisa Brienen

DISCLAIMER: The above should never replace the advice of your local veterinarian, as they have the ability to evaluate your dog in person."

- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Skin Rashes, Marks, Spots, Lesions & Patches (including itchy skin and mange) Section.