Red Rashes on my Dog's Legs

Rashes on his leg

Rashes on his leg

Rashes on his leg
Another pic

My dog has constantly been scratching for almost one week. He has these red rashes on both his legs. Please advise.

He is 3 year old schnoodel.

Comments for Red Rashes on my Dog's Legs

My Online Vet Response for: Red Rashes on my Dog's Legs

For your male 3 year old white Schnoodle it appears that the itching is mostly in the armpits and along both front legs. He also has generalized thinning of his hair. From your photo I cannot tell if he is overweight nor did you mention his diet. Considering all possible causes of itching with generalized hair loss--one needs to rule out: food allergy, contact allergy, inhaled allergy, and flea allergy. Also, he may have a secondary bacterial infection due to internal problems, such as auto-immune disease, diabetes, Cushings or hypothyroidism.

I would advise taking him to a holistic veterinarian for a physical exam and blood panel. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options and consider a gradual switch to a RAW diet, and stop ALL dry dog food.

Bathing him 1-2 times per week with a mild baby shampoo will help to calm his red, inflamed skin and remove any surface bacteria. Make him wear a 100% Cotton baby T-shirt to prevent further trauma from scratching, until you can get an appointment with a holistic veterinarian.