Red rashes on dog's belly & groin area

by Shamik Das
(New Delhi, India)

Affected Area 1

Affected Area 1

Affected Area 1
Affected Area 2

My 5 year old dog (Pranky, a Boxer) has developed red rashes on the underside of his belly and hind legs. He has also rashes and discoloration on his groin.

History:
Since the time I got him he's had similar rashes every year at least once. But it was never so bad as it is now and did not take so long to heal (this time it's been over 5 weeks). Usually my vet gives him antibiotic shots over a period of 5 days and it heals.

Symptoms:
He is frequently licking his groin and the underside of his hind legs and belly. He also takes time to sit down as it seems he has pain in his groin.

There has been light yellowish discharge from the affected areas in his groin.

He also seems to be distracted (usually he sleeps on the bed, but for days we've had to call him up on the bed. As he prefers to sleep on the floor and it is pretty cold now here in Delhi (India).

He has not cut down on his food - the intake is regular and no changes have been observed. However he seems to be less energetic. He has also developed reddish eyes and a runny nose which is not constant. It clears off by itself and then comes back again.

Current Medications:
My veterinarian had given him antibiotic injections over a period of five days. And also oral tablets Bayrocin (Enrofloxacin Tablets 150mg) 1 each day, which went on with the antibiotic course. He asked me to carry it on for the next 5 days.

Under his direction I have been also applying lotion (twice daily) Spectrazole, composition -(Colobetasol Propionate BP 0.025% w/w, Ofloxacin IP 0.1% w/w and Miconazole Nitrate 2.0% w/w, Base q.s).

Reaction to medication:
I have observed that whenever I administer the tablet Bayrocin (Enrofloxacin Tablets 150mg) he usually gets drowsy. When I apply the lotion it seems to cause him immense displeasure - he gets very hyper and starts panting and roaming around the house trying to lick the infected areas.

Result Of Treatment:
He seems to have recovered after the 5th day of the antibiotic course as the rashes had disappeared from his underbelly area (though it was still there on his groin). But it came back all over on 7th day (please see pictures above). The skin on his underbelly and behind his groin had started to peel off in certain areas and also behind his groin after the 5th day of the antibiotic course.

Alternative Tried:
I applied coconut oil but there was no improvement.

Diet:
He is on Dog Food Eukanuba (Adult Large Breed). He has also been drinking lot of water these days.

I am very worried for him, he is the soul of my life and it gives me immense pain to see him in such a condition. I reach out to you all the way from Delhi, India with great hope, as while going through your other cases online every one seems to have gone back with a smile.

I would kindly request that if you are suggesting any form of medication please do let me know the name and composition as I doubt if I would be able to find the exact brand out here. But chances are high that I would be able to find the drug with the same therapeutic composition. The alternatives suggested by you on other cases like oatmeal, baking soda, apple cedar vinegar, Aloe Vera gel, etc would be available out here

I hope I have covered all the relevant areas - please do let me know if any additional information is required.

Regards,
Shamik Das

Comments for Red rashes on dog's belly & groin area

My Online Vet Response for: Red rashes on dog's belly & groin area

Hi Shamik, from India,
Pranky has severe deep scrotal dermatitis. Yes, this is very painful, and would account for his decrease in energy, and being 'distracted' as you put it. It appears that he has also developed an adverse reaction to the conventional drugs: oral and injectable antibiotics, and topical ointments.

Here is the plan:
1. STOP all the oral and topical medications.

2. Bath--Make him sit in a tub of slightly COOL water to soak his groin and scrotum 5-10 minutes for 7-10 days. IF he will allow, gently cleanse the groin/scrotum area with mild baby shampoo or oatmeal shampoo. Rinse all soap. Gently towel dry, DO NOT use a hair dryer. His skin is very HOT and easily irritated. We need to do all we can to help cool down the inflammation.

If he is insistent on licking and causing more irritation, he may need to wear a pair of men's boxer shorts, with his tail going out the 'fly' opening. I am not sure if those are available in India, otherwise, he may need to wear an Comfy Cone Pet E-Collar.

3. HOMEOPATHIC REMEDY-Give him Nux vomica 12c. (I believe that you should have access to homeopathic remedies in India). One pellet by mouth two times daily for 7-10 days. Or dissolve one pellet in a 2 oz dropper bottle, and fill with Spring Water. Give him 1/2 dropperful by mouth two times daily for 7-10 days.

Nux vomica will help to remove the adverse reaction to the drugs, and allow his Vital Force to start the healing process.

4. DIET--he needs to be gradually switched to a diet with more moisture. STOP feeding DRY Dog food. Start to add in canned Eukanuba, PUPPY Food if possible. He needs the extra protein to help him heal.

Even better, check out our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, and consider adding some raw meat into his food. NO RAW PORK or RAW FISH.

5. Probiotics--add Acidophilus
to his food, 1/2 human dose, to each meal, for one month. This helps to replace the normal gut flora that has been destroyed by all of the antibiotics.

6. Immuplex from Standard Process - a glandular supplement for his immune system. He needs one capsule opened and sprinkled into his food two times daily.

TO BE CONTINUED IN PART TWO

My Online Vet Response for: Red rashes on dog's belly & groin area PART TWO

Hi Shamik,
Here is the continuation of my response:

He has CHRONIC disease. You wrote, "He's had similar rashes every year at least once." Therefore, he must stay on a healthy diet, NO MORE vaccinations for 3 years (or ever again, if that is possible) and ongoing homeopathic care to help him regain his health. Seeking the health of a homeopathic veterinarian is the BEST choice for Pranky.

Of course, I can assist 'long distance', but it is not the same as a veterinarian who can examine him in person.

Response
by: Shamik Das

Hi Dr. Tillman,

Thanks for your prompt and detailed response - I will get the advised medications and Shampoos today. Fortunately one of my friend is coming back from the US by the end of this week and I have asked him carry Immuplex for me. I will administer and post next week.

Our country has developed but has long way to go for Pet Care - unfortunately this city doesn't have any homeopathic veterinarians. So my only option is to work with you. I am also going to switch his diet to lamb meat.

I have few additional questions:

- Do I shampoo the area with Oatmeal Shampoo or simply wipe the area with oatmeal shampoo?

- Do I apply anything on the area like aloe vera gel or let it be?

Hi Shamik,
"unfortunately this city doesn't have any homeopathic veterinarians. So my only option is to work with you."

OK. I will do my best to help Pranky!