Red Rash on Underside - Superficial Pyoderma

My dog has a red rash all over his stomach and chest really bad around his private area..its scabby and looks like its getting worse..I haven't tried anything for it yet because I don't know what its from.

Its pretty bad I don't know what it is or what I can do for it?

My dog is an almost 6 month old male pitbull puppy. He's about 60 lbs.

Comments for Red Rash on Underside - Superficial Pyoderma

Picture
by: Administrator

Thank you for submitting your question. Do you have a picture that you can share with our veterinarians of your dog's rash?

If so, please submit another form in Step 2 of the submission process and upload your picture. (here's a link to the page: http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/ask-a-vet-online-2.html)

One of our veterinarians will provide advice either way, but a picture will make it much easier for them to diagnose the issue.

Best Regards,

Jeff

My Online Vet Response for Red Rash on Underside
by: Carol Jean Tillman DVM

Hello,
Even without a photo, I am fairly confident that what your pup has is called superficial pyoderma. It is found in puppies 4-6 months of age, usually around the groin, sheath, scrotum area, and sometimes in females around the vulva.

At this age, puppies are not familiar with cleaning themselves in this area. Therefore, they develop sort of a 'diaper rash', and need to have better hygiene. In which case, it is up to the owner to use a mild shampoo, like baby shampoo, two times per week to clean the area. No neutering or surgery until the area has healed completely.

And I will usually question the exact appearance of when the rash started, and if it seemed to coincide with vaccinations.

I would suggest a visit to a homeopathic veterinarian, who can get your pup started on a regime of cleaning, homeopathic remedy for the skin and overall health of you pup, and discuss a good diet.

Check our website at http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/animal-care-dog-holistic.html to get you started.

**Skin Conditions***

Dog Skin Conditions,
Dog Itchy Skin,
Dog Skin Rash,
Dog Skin Allergies,
Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Skin Rashes, Marks, Spots, Lesions & Patches (including itchy skin and mange) Section