Red rash on dog's tummy

by Linda
(Newport News, VA)

Yesterday I noticed a red rash on my dog's stomach and around her genitals down onto her back legs. It almost looks like pimples, as you can see from the attached picture. She doesn't scratch it or lick it and there doesn't seem to be any hair loss.

She is on Frontline Plus for fleas, etc., and heartworm preventative; I haven't seen any fleas or ticks on her so far this summer. She hasn't been spayed yet, but will be in late July.

She is a 4.5 month old Yorkshire Terrier puppy. Her appetite hasn't changed nor have I changed her food or any treats. Her behavior hasn't changed. She's a very, very active puppy.

There is a lot of ivy in my backyard where she goes to potty and she does go into the ivy. We live in an area that is mosquito infested and the temps right now are in the 90s.

Comments for Red rash on dog's tummy

My Online Vet Response for Red Rash on Dog's Tummy

Hi Linda,
The red rash with pimples on your puppy's tummy is called puppy pyoderma. It is similar to a 'diaper rash' in a human baby. Usually caused by bacteria, and exacerbated if there are stresses in a puppy's life, such as puppy vaccinations, poor hygiene, toxins (such as the Frontline) or dog parasites (internal or external).

A holistic veterinarian would be able to advise on exempting the puppy from any vaccinations that may be due now. It would be best to wait until after she is spayed to give her a Rabies vaccine (surgery is another stress!)

Stop the Frontline, it is too toxic. Switch to a non-toxic flea preventive such as Wondercide, and check out our page on Dog Flea Medicine.

Give her the dog heartworm preventive every 45 days instead of every 30 days.

Take in a stool sample to have her checked for parasites, now (at 4 1/2 months old), again when she is spayed, and again at 1 year of age. Then have her checked annually.

If she had an allergy to the ivy (or anything else), she would be itching and scratching all over, and you said that she was NOT itching. Bathing her with a Baby shampoo, such as Johnson & Johnson, two times per week for the next 3 weeks will help her heal along with all of the other suggestions to make her healthier!

Also, improving her diet will help, NO DRY FOOD. And incorporating a small amount of raw meat into her diet would be very helpful. See our suggestions on 10 Best Dog Food Options.

Find a local holistic vet by clicking here.

red rash around private area

My dog has a red rash all on stomach and around private area and he's constantly licking it

Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).