Red Rash on Dog's Neck

by Renee W.
(Placentia, CA USA)

My Boxer, Pit, Bulldog mix has a red rash on his neck. He turned 1 in July. Not sure if it is allergy related.

I use a pinch collar on him so that might be causing the irritation. I noticed it about a week or tow ago.

He has been eating the same grain free food for over 6 months, and this is the first time I noticed it. I'm also using the same sensitive skin shampoo for his bath for the past year.

Is there a natural remedy I can use for this rather than antibiotics?

Comments for Red Rash on Dog's Neck

My Online Vet Response for: Red Rash on Dog's Neck

September 30, 2014

Hi Renee,

From the photos you sent, I suspect this is a 'superficial' pyoderma. Meaning a superficial infection in the skin. It may be caused by the irritation from the prongs in the pinch collar, or from him scratching from allergies, although that is an odd location. Also, food allergy, or contact allergy could be the cause. And you did not mention if he scratching.

I suggest that you use a Promise halter, 'Haltie', or Snoot Loop in place of the prong/pinch collar to avoid any further irritation. And to correct his behavior on a walk.

Wash his neck with baby shampoo, one to two times per week, rinse and dry well. Keep area clean and dry. If he is scratching his neck, he may need to wear socks on both hind feet, (mostly at night) to prevent his toenails from causing more irritation. And using Rescue Remedy, diluted, 20 drops in 2 oz Spring Water in a pump 'spray' bottle to 'spritz' the area as often as needed, will help to calm the skin.

Make sure his diet is not composed of all dry dog food. For healthy skin and hair coat he needs a diet with more moisture, such as combining canned and RAW with the dry food. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options.

If he is not improving in 2-3 weeks and his diet has been improved, he may need to have some immune support, 1. Missing Link Canine Formula

If immune system supplements are not helping, other 'obstacles to cure' might be the effect of past vaccinations. Homeopathic remedies would need to be prescribed. A holistic veterinarian in your area would be able to help.