Red Rash On Dog's Inner Back/Thigh/Bottom Area

by Andrea
(Oakley, CA)

Groin area

Groin area

Groin area
Bright red splotches
Another angle
Her personality

My 6 month old pitty has been licking her groin area frequently. I took a closer look and noticed a red rash. I want to make sure it's nothing serious.

She is not spayed yet and I've been looking out for signs of her first heat (enlarged vulva, aggression, over motherly) as she is scheduled to be spayed July 18 and I'm hoping to make it without a heat.

I'm not sure if this rash I noticed could be related, or maybe its just dry skin or a bug bite?

She's had a history of deca mites which have resolved thanks to our holistic vet's recommendation. Any help would be great.

Comments for Red Rash On Dog's Inner Back/Thigh/Bottom Area

My Online Vet Response for: Red Rash On Dog's Inner Back/Thigh/Botton Area

June 21, 2014

Hi Andrea,

From the photos you sent, it does not look serious. I suspect she may have a mild superficial pyoderma. This is usually caused by skin bacteria or yeast in the skin fold areas on the midline, just in front of her vulva area.

Hormonal changes can make her body more susceptible.

Recent vaccinations can suppress her immune system, also making her susceptible.

A Dry Dog Food diet can be deficient in moisture, also causing her skin to be dry and unhealthy. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html, and consider a canned or even RAW diet for her.

Your holistic veterinarian can write an exemption form for vaccinations, and may consider a prescription for a homeopathic remedy. In the meantime, you can use either *straight* or diluted apple cider vinegar to wipe the skin fold areas on her groin area, and around her vulva area to control yeast. One to two times daily.

To control surface bacteria, she should be bathed once weekly with a baby shampoo, for 3-6 weeks, until the redness is cleared up. The spay surgery may need to be delayed, to make sure her skin is healthy. It would not be wise to create an incision in unhealthy skin.