Red Rash and Bumps on Dog's Belly with Furr Loss

Our 15 month old pure breed black German Shepherd has a red rash all over his belly. There are also some red bumps and he's losing his fur (it's thinning in this area). He bites at them like flea bites. We use Frontline.

He did go running in the woods and we got many ticks off of him, but that was weeks ago. Our vet said it was some kind of allergic reaction and it appeared to clear up when we gave him Benadryl (per our vet).

This did happen before, about six months ago (only thinning of the fur) and at that time the vet said he could be allergic to dust mites. But it seemed to get better. We don't want to have to give him Benadryl all the time, but don't want him losing his fur either.

We feed him Nature's Recipe and are very careful with his diet - making sure he doesn't eat anything else.

Do you have suggestions of what it could be and a more natural treatment?

Thank you!

Comments for Red Rash and Bumps on Dog's Belly with Furr Loss

My Online Vet Response for Red Rash and Bumps on Dog's Belly with Fur Loss

Hello,
From the photo you submitted of the belly of your 13 month old German Shepherd, it appears that he has flat, red eruptions, with some possible pimples. This certainly appears like an allergic reaction.

A dog food allergy, flea allergy, or exposure to poison oak or poison ivy, would produce the same response. Also, I am always suspicious of a reaction that can occur several weeks after receiving a vaccination. You did not mention if he had a vaccine before this episode or before the previous one.

There are numerous homeopathic remedies that might be beneficial for red skin eruptions. Rhus tox, Belladonna, or Sulphur are indicated here.

A homeopathic veterinarian would be able to differentiate by looking at the whole patient.
His personality and temperament, temperature preferences, if he itches or scratches all the time, or if it is only at night. Or if this occurred after a vaccination. See our page on alternative medicine for dogs, specifically homeopathy for dogs.

Nature's Recipe is a good food, but it would be best to feed canned, NOT DRY food, and to add in some raw meat. Or to feed a raw diet with the addition of some canned food. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options.

The goal here is to make him as healthy as possible so he will not be 'susceptible' to allergies. Homeopathic remedies are designed to do just that, but of course, the diet, and environment need to be healthy too!

Frontline is a toxin. (As a side note, in my experience, it actually works better for ticks than it does for fleas). So,as an alternative to putting toxins on your dog, there are more natural flea and tick preventives that you could use. Check out
Wondercide. And our page on Dog Flea Medicine.

TO BE CONTINUED, IN PART TWO

My Online Vet Response for Red Rash and Bumps on Dog's Belly with Fur loss PART TWO

Here is the continuation of my response:

You did not mention if he is the only dog in the family, or if he is competing with older more dominant dogs. In some cases, especially if he is 'low dog on the totem pole', this may cause some emotional stress which might make him more susceptible to 'allergies'. Rescue Remedy would be useful to help calm any dog anxiety. It is available in a 'pet' form mixed with glycerine, which you can give directly by mouth. I think that the 'regular', one (mixed in alcohol), is better. This one is best given in a diluted form, by adding 3-4 drops to 4 oz of Spring Water. In the diluted form, you can give it to him by mouth 2-3 times daily, AND apply it directly to the red, rash area, to calm the skin.

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here:

Response to shepherd with bumps
by: Steph

I too have a pure breed german she is one. Im worried ours has the same problem :(((
We use Orijen dog food but im worried whats causing them. She is our 3rd dog but we love her just as much as the 4yr old lab and 12yr silky

She gets walks and played with but am concerned about this rash :(

Where do u find what food is best for this breed? Shes a rescue and i have compromised immune system so i cannot feed raw food

Help

In the same boat
by: Brittany

My German shepherd is pregnant and just developed tho same rash on her mid abdomen. Going to see a vet in the morning. Have you figured out what was wrong with your GSD?