Red Non-Raised Rash in Dog Groin Area

by Rebecca B.
(Ortonville, MI)

Today I noticed a red, non-raised rash in my dog's groin area. I checked the rest of him, and it appears to be local. He does not seem to mind, no itching, licking, pain when I touch it, etc. etc.

He is a 1-year old black lab/german sheppard mix. This is a new one for me...appeared very suddenly. No change in diet/routine.

Comments for Red Non-Raised Rash in Dog Groin Area

My Online Vet Response for Red non-raised rash in dog groin area

Hi Rebecca,

Your dog may have an auto-immune disease causing this rash such as immune mediated thrombocytopenia, which causes a destruction of platelets in the blood and causes small hemorrhages to appear just under the skin.

In most cases it is difficult to find out what caused him to develop this. Most commonly it is due to an insect bite or sting that occurred several days earlier. Sometimes it can occur after receiving a vaccination, or even if he ate a bug!

This can be diagnosed with blood tests: Chem panel, CBC, and immune panels. If this is the diagnosis, conventional treatment would involve starting prednisone or cortisone to suppress the immune system.

In the meantime, for holistic treatment, there are several homeopathic remedies that might be helpful. Differentiating between which one to use would require an intake exam by a holistic veterinarian. I would suggest either Belladonna, Apis, Phosphorus or Lachesis.

In this case, since he does not have any other symptoms, I would start with the Phosphorus, 6c or 12c three times daily for 3 days. Homeopathic remedies are available in health food stores, in small pellets. In a human, you are supposed to put them under your tongue. In a dog, I just pull out the lip and place it in the 'side pouch' of the mouth, or you can drop it down his throat for him to swallow. You are not supposed to touch the remedy, just pour out one small pellet into the lid of the container, and then into his mouth.

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here: