Red Lumpy Rash Above Dog's Nose

by Amy Y.
(Jersey City, NJ)

A red lumpy rash started growing above my dog's nose a little over a week ago. It was wet at first, the it dried up and had a scab. Now the scab has come off. It is not wet now but still reddish pink and lumpy.

It doesn't look like it was itchy because he didn't scratch it or rub it. It does not seem to bother him.

Freddie is 10 years old.

Comments for Red Lumpy Rash Above Dog's Nose

My Online Vet Response for: Red Lumpy Rash Above Dog's Nose

October 19, 2013

Hi Amy,

From the photos of Freddie's nose, I am suspicious of a number of diseases. Ringworm, (a fungus), Demodectic mange, bacterial infection, or an auto-immune condition called Pemphigus foliaceous.

The first two skin conditions are much more common in younger dogs. Since Freddie is 10 years old, I would worry it may be an immune system problem, but I would recommend having a fungus culture and a skin scraping done just to make sure it is not anything else.

You did not mention if there are any rashes occurring anywhere else on his body, for example near the rectum, his nail beds, lips, eyelids, or ears. Muco-cutaneous junctions, (where skin meets mucous membrane) is the common location for these auto-immune conditions to occur.

Any of these skin conditions can appear after a stress, such as a vaccination, adverse reaction to a drug, or poor diet causing vitamin or mineral deficiencies. I would suggest an exam and skin scraping, fungus culture and a total blood count/chemistry and T4 to find a diagnosis. In the meantime, NO VACCINATIONS. And make sure he is not fed a DRY DOG FOOD. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options,, and consider a gradual transition to a RAW diet for Freddie.

Try the following three supplements to boost his immune system:

Consider seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian. In some cases, where the diagnosis is vague, homeopathic remedies can be very useful.