Red lump on puppy's snout

by Lisa
(UK)

My puppy is 11 weeks old and has just had his second round of puppy vaccinations (5 days ago). Today I noticed that he had a red lump on the side of his snout. It doesn't seem to be causing him any pain at all and feels solid to the touch. It is a little more red on one side, making us think that he had suffered a scratch or sting of some sort.

He has been fed Royal Canin dry food (by the breeder) and we have been feeding him some of this and then some raw food which we get from a BARF food supplier. He eats well and is full of energy and has not tried to scratch or paw at this lump. The lump came on very suddenly today. We initially thought he had been scratched by one of our cats but on closer examination we don't think this is the case.

He has also been given a spot on worming and flea treatment (advocate) 10 days ago.

We are registered with a conventional vet but have not made an appointment for him just yet.

Comments for Red lump on puppy's snout

Update
by: Lisa

To update to yesterday's info. I have just noticed a similar bump today on his chin. It is a little smaller but looks the same.

My Online Vet Response for: Red lump on puppy's snout

Hi Lisa,
It looks like your puppy is developing what is called Puppy Pyoderma. It can progress to raised pink hairless 'welts' all over the face, muzzle, and chin. Puppies may also have swollen lymph nodes in the throat area, and run a fever.

If the initial 'lump' were painful, then I would suspect an insect bite or sting. But as it is not painful, and now there is a second one appearing, I am more suspicious of the pyoderma problem. Although, other possibilities could be histiocytomas, mange, or a fungal infection, such as ringworm.

In any case, it is definitely related to a suppression of the immune system due to the stress of the vaccinations combined with the topical dewormer/flea treatment that was done 10 days ago.

I would NOT vaccinate him for the 3rd set of vaccinations. And at one year of age when he is due for his 'booster' vaccination, I would seek the help of a holistic veterinarian, and obtain an exemption form to AVOID future vaccinations!

In the meantime, give him one dose of Thuya 30c or 200c, (dry pellet or dissolve one pellet into 2 oz of Spring Water), and give one dose (one pellet or 1/2 dropperful), every 8 hours for 3 days.

Also, avoid topical insecticides for your puppy and use more natural treatments. Check out this product made of Cedar oil.

The diet you are feeding him sounds fine.

Update
by: Lisa

I just thought I would update on my puppy's progress... I am pleased to report that his bumps are on the mend.

I purchased the thuja and gave this to him and on that day both lumps came to a head and then burst and scabbed over. We made sure they stayed clean and now they are healing better and shrinking by the day. No more bumps have appeared and I think his immune system is now dealing with it.

Thanks so much for your help.

Hi Lisa,
That is great news that your puppy is recovering, and on the mend! Thank you for sending a progress report.

And my suggestion still stands, I would NOT vaccinate him for the 3rd set of vaccinations. And at one year of age when he is due for his 'booster' vaccination, I would seek the help of a holistic veterinarian, and obtain an exemption form to AVOID future vaccinations!