Red Itchy Rash in Patches Over Most of Body - Mast Cell Tumor, Demodex Mites or a Food Deficiency

by CD
(Tampa, FL)

right chest and shoulder area

right chest and shoulder area

Red itchy rash in patches over most of body for 6 weeks
Boxer, female, age 7 years old
Symptoms x 6 weeks
History of mast cell tumors (low grade)

Currently on pepcid and prednisone 5 mg for the mast cell tumors.

Went to vet 10 days ago, given keflex twice a day and chlorhexidine shampoo.
Rash has not improved, has developed in new areas. Involves chest, legs, muzzle, ears, pelvis, between the toes. Areas on the chest and legs are well demarcated. Areas on the ears, muzzle, feet and pelvis are not.
She does not constantly scratch the rash, it only appears to be mildly irritating to her.
Rash appears dry and excoriated, occasionally bleeds.

No known new detergents, sprays, pets, meds, foods.
No symptoms on our other dog.
She is on heartguard and Frontline.

Comments for Red Itchy Rash in Patches Over Most of Body - Mast Cell Tumor, Demodex Mites or a Food Deficiency

My Online Vet Response Red Rash Patches over most of Body

Hi CD,
From the photo you sent of your Boxer, the rash does not look like a bacterial infection, so I do not think that antibiotics would be effective.

I am concerned with her past history of mast cell tumors, and the long term dose of prednisone she has been taking. You did not mention if your veterinarian did a skin scraping. From the distribution of the rash, the history of immune suppression with pred, I would be concerned about Demodex mites and/or a food deficiency.

A blood panel may help to diagnose any other deficency or disease she may have.

Click here for more about Dog Demodectic Mange.

With such generalized spread, it may be difficult to find mites. But it would still be a good idea, to consider using antihistamines instead of Prednisone for your dog and adding Omega 3 fish oils to her diet (see Your Dog's Diet for more information). You should also consider adding some immune stimulants to her diet. And I would certainly advise seeking a holistic veterinarian to help you (scroll to the bottom of our Dog Vet Care page to find a holistic vet near you). A holistic veterinarian would also suggest stopping the Frontline. Heartgard is ok to continue.

In the meantime, to make her more comfortable, you may also want to massage in some coconut oil to all of the irritated, dry excoriated areas, let it soak into her skin for a few hours, (you may need to keep her off of the furniture during this time), prior to the shampoo. And I would only use a very mild shampoo on her such as Baby shampoo.

Red itchy Patches use Aveeno oatmeal bath
by: Tracey

I have had Amstaffs and they have very sensitive skin and very rashy. I have found that only bathing them "when necessary " use Aveeno oatmeal bath and it will not irritate or dry their skin.
It cant hurt to try.

rash by tail of dog NEW
by: Shirley Naylor

can I apply any kind of ointment that I would use for a rash thank you

My Online Vet Response for: Red Itchy Rash in Patches Over Most of Body- Mast Cell Tumor, Demodex mites or a Food Deficiency NEW

August 5, 2013,

Hi Shirley,
No. Human lotions and creams may be harmful if taken internally. Since dogs and cats will clean/wash their bodies, and swallow whatever is on their skin, I would be VERY cautious about applying 'any kind of ointment' that is used for a rash.

Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).

the dog that i love NEW

my chi started with an ear infection that the vet helped me to cure it then he started itching scratching and lickng and now chewin on his paws under belly under tail face all scratched up so I tried everytin that I can do for him and the best remedy that I have found so far is to just use some hot spot medicine on his sores forelief ,an ecollar to help him from reaching his face and under belly I use dog bandages for his legs and feet to cover so he cant bite he stopped eatin any dog food that I use to give him so I feed him what I know he will eat which is human food at least he isn't starving I take him for small walks I bathe him regularly clean his ears and I just keep on trying just to mak him as comfortable as I can because I love him and I just want to mak him happy if hes happy then I am happy his name is taquila

My Online Vet Response for: Red Itchy Rash in Patches Over Most of Body-Mast Cell Tumor, Demodex Mites or a Food Deficiency NEW

November 21, 2014