Red Itchy Dog Skin Rash All Over Body & Warm to the Touch

by Jessica
(Toronto, Ontario, Canada)

I have recently adopted a shih tzu female who has a terrible red itchy rash in spots all over her body and little patches of missing hair I did not see until I shaved her down. At times, spots are warm to the touch.

All of her skin is irritated, but now she is getting sore spots.

What could it be and is it contagious to other animals? I have a shih tzu/maltese mix as well.

Comments for Red Itchy Dog Skin Rash All Over Body & Warm to the Touch

My Online Vet Response for: Red Itchy dog skin rash all over Body & Warm to the Touch

Hi Jessica,
For your female Shih Tzu, it appears that the "sore spots" are areas that she is scratching and causing self trauma. From the photo, I do not believe what she has is contagious to your other dogs. Since there are SO many causes for generalized pruritis ("itchiness"), I do not have an easy answer for you.

In conventional medicine, one would need to rule out ALLERGIC causes. See our page on Dog Itchy Skin. These include food allergy, inhaled allergy, flea allergy and contact allergy.

Also consider environmental causes, both outside the house, such as poison ivy and fertilizer or pesticide, and inside the house, such as chemical cleaners, detergents, dustmites, second hand smoke, wool or synthetic materials.

Parasites, like sarcoptic mange mites, can be VERY itchy, and are contagious to BOTH humans and dogs. The diagnosis is done by a skin scraping.

In holistic medicine, other considerations would be vaccinosis, from over-vaccination and as Dr. Samuel Hahnemann, the founder of homeopathy, would state: "It is the mis-tunement of the individual leading them to be susceptible to disease."

HOWEVER, I can give you some suggestions that might make her more comfortable.

DIET: NO DRY DOG food. The body needs adequate moisture to maintain healthy skin and hair. Consider a RAW Dog food diet.

SUPPLEMENTS:
1. Omega 3 fish oil for dogs, about 250mg two times daily in food, may help decrease inflammation.
2. Antronex by Standard Process - this is a glandular supplement that supports the liver function and helps the liver to remove histamine from the tissues, therefore it acts like an anti-histamine.
3. IMMUNE SYSTEM SUPPORT:

TO BE CONTINUED PART TWO

My Online Vet Response for: Red Itchy Dog Skin Rash All Over Body & Warm to the Touch PART TWO

Hi Jessica,
Here is the rest of my response.

BATHING: use an oatmeal shampoo two times per week for 3-6 weeks with COOL water. (A dog's normal body temperature is 100-102 degrees, and her HOT skin is making her even warmer, so the cool water will help to decrease the heat and inflammation and give her some relief.)

BETWEEN BATHS: Use topical Rescue Remedy, a Bach Flower essence - dilute 10 drops in 2-4 oz of Spring Water and put it into a spray bottle to spray on her skin as needed where she is red to help 'calm' the skin.

You can also use Aloe Vera juice, (the kind you drink, that is refrigerated after opening), also put into a spray bottle, to spray on her skin as often as needed.

It may be best to make her wear a 100% cotton baby's T-shirt to prevent her from traumatizing her skin at night and during the day when you cannot observe her.

In the meantime, I would also urge you to locate a holistic veterinarian to treat her with homeopathy. Click here to find a holistic veterinarian in your area. Another resource for vets knowledgeable in homeopathy is AVH.org.