Red & Irritated Between Dog's Toes & Pinkish Swelling in Mouth

by Julie
(Mooresville NC)

paw

paw

paw
paw
mouth right side
mouth left side

Sunday evening I noticed my dog Emiily licking her paw excessively. I checked and noticed it was red and irritated in between 2 of her toes.

I soaked it in Epsom salts that night and gave her a tablespoon of coconut oil mixed with 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric to help with the swelling and infection. Monday morning it looked somewhat better so I soaked it three more times in the Epsom salt but did notice a pinkish swelling in her mouth that concerned me so I stopped the turmeric and coconut oil.

Emily is an 8 year old husky lab mix. She has been very healthy. I started her on Purina one dog food 3 months ago. Before that she was eating Ducks high protein, no sugar.

Hope you can help. I will take her to the vet next but wanted to get your opinion first as I do believe in holistic care. Thank you in advance.

Comments for Red & Irritated Between Dog's Toes & Pinkish Swelling in Mouth

My Online Vet Response for: Red & Irritated Between Dog's Toes & Pinkish Swelling in Mouth

Hi Julie,
From the great close-up photos of Emily's foot and mouth, all I can tell you is that she may have a nail bed infection and/or interdigital pyoderma between her toes. This may be due to a foreign body or chemical irritant, and her excessive licking is causing it to worsen.

The left corner of her mouth does look more swollen than the right. I would expect her tongue to be irritated, NOT the corner of her mouth, if this was transferred from her foot. Therefore, I am unable to tell you if this is due to the same problem or totally unrelated.

I would advise a visit to a veterinarian for a thorough exam of her foot and mouth, including the ROOF of her mouth. A holistic veterinarian would be best, but if there are none nearby, then take her to a conventional vet.