Red Inflamed Dog Eye with Yellow Eye Boogers

by Katie
(Los Angeles, CA)

My sister noticed last night that our dog's eye was red and inflamed. Also, that he had yellow eye boogers coming out. This morning she said it was still not looking good (same as late last night).

Hugo does have a history of hotspots, food sensitivity, scratching/itching, sneezing. We feed him a vegetarian diet. Natural Balance Vegetarian Formula which he responds to very nicely. I've never seen his eye look like this in the 2 years we've had him.

We have been taking care of a friend's dog that is about 10 lbs a chihauha mix. Hugo and Ace have been playing a lot. Ace sometimes will paw at Hugo's face. I think that may be the reason why Hugo's eye is red.

Ace is fine and looks clear of any infection. Despite Hugo's eye he seems in good spirits. He loves to sleep and relax but also loves to play with his buddy Ace.

Hugo is a St Bernard that my sister and I got from the North Central Animal Shelter in Los Angeles. He is about 3 years old.

Comments for Red Inflamed Dog Eye with Yellow Eye Boogers

My Online Vet Response for: Red Inflamed Dog Eye with Yellow Eye Boogers

August 18, 2014

Hi Katie,
Hugo has conjunctivitis in his left eye. If Ace had scratched Hugo, then Hugo would be squinting. Conjunctivitis can be caused by bacteria, virus or an irritant in the eye.

I suggest you use saline from a pharmacy to flush his eye really well to remove all of the mucous that has accumulated. Rinse his eye every 8 hours for 24 hours.

After each flush/rinse, apply 3-4 drops of sweet almond oil into that eye to provide lubrication to the cornea and conjunctiva. You could also use artificial tear ointment.

After 24 hours, if it spreads to the other eye, or his eye is more inflamed with more mucous discharge, I advise that you take him to a veterinary ophthalmologist as soon as possible for a more thorough eye exam.