Red growth on dog / wart like spot

by Jason
(Doncaster, UK)

Our dog has developed a red wart like growth near the knee joint of his back left leg. It also appears there has been a little hair loss maybe from licking, though we have only just noticed the growth so cant say for sure regarding the licking.

He is a 6 year old Staffordshire bull terrier who usually has no health problems whatsoever.

We gently touched the spot first assuming it may have been a tick of some type, but we can't see any legs or obvious sign it could be a tick though we are no professionals. When we touched the affected area it didn't seem to cause any discomfort, though Staffordshire bull terriers are renowned for their pain tolerance.

Hopefully you can advise us to what the problem is most likely to be and if we need to take any further action.

All the best, Jay

Comments for Red growth on dog / wart like spot

My Online Vet Response for Red Growth on Dog/Wart like Spot

Hi Jay,
From the photo you sent it appears to be a benign wart. It does look like he has been licking it and causing it to be moist, red, and inflamed.

If he continues to lick it, he may cause it to become infected. Also, if it seems to grow, become more inflamed, swollen, or starts to discharge a liquid over the next 3-6 weeks, I would advise you seek the help of a holistic veterinarian.

In the meantime, I would limit vaccinations. See our Dog Vaccination Schedule page for more information.

And to learn how to improve his diet, see our info on 10 Best Dog Food Options. If he is on a dry dog food diet, he will not have the moisture his skin and hair coat need to heal and prevent the occurrence of more warts or growths.

You can apply Aloe Vera juice (100% pure juice) to the wart to help diminish the redness and licking. Sometimes an ointment containing the homeopathic remedy Thuya can be applied to help warts or small growths disappear. But finding a holistic veterinarian would be the best for him. To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here:

Update

Hi thanks for the advice. I'd just like to update this by saying within a couple of days the growth/wart turned black and just dropped off with no ill effects.

Thanks again, Jay

My Online Vet Response for Red Growth on Dog/Wart like spot

Hi Jay,
That is wonderful news! Thank you for the update!

Dr. Tillman

Wart
by: Domenic Palmiere

What did you to get the wart/black spot to drop off?

Re: wart

I didn't do anything other than distract him if I saw him licking it and it just fell of in a couple of days.

Red Growth on hind leg of Border Colie/Australian Shepherd

Thank you so much for your service including the
pictures. My dog is White and he has been licking it so I was afraid it could be a cancer.
I will and eye on him. Should I use the over the counter wart remover on this growth?

My Online Vet Response for: Red Growth on Dog/Wart like spot

Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).

My dog has a growth NEW
by: SonyA

My 2 year old schnauzer suddenly developed a red growth on her front leg. At first I thought it was a piece of hard candy stuck in her fur. I'm really worried. It is smooth, red and moist looking but she constantly licks it. It is now starting to look like its getting ulcerated. Can anyone help

My Online Vet Response for: Red Growth on dog/wart like spot NEW

Hi Sonya,
My suspicions for a 2 year old Schnauzer to develop a growth, is that it is either a mast cell tumor or a histiocytoma. It is difficult to give advice without a photo.

I thank you for your question. And, I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).