Red Flaky Itchy Bumps Around Dog's Groin

by Yessenia
(Murrieta, CA, USA)

He itches as well .

He itches as well .

My German Shepherd puppy has red flaky itchy bumps all around his groin. He had them before I started treating him for fleas.

I got him the flea drops, applied them, then waited 48 hours and gave him a bath with dish soap and gave him a flea collar. Like a week later I gave him another bath with dish soap and his bumps have gotten worse.

I don't know if the things I did didn't work or if he got a mild skin reaction with the dish soap. Please help!

Comments for Red Flaky Itchy Bumps Around Dog's Groin

My Online Vet Response For: Red Flaky Itchy Bumps Around Dog's Groin

June 22, 2014

Hi Yessenia,

You did not mention the age of your puppy, but if he is being vaccinated now with a series of *puppy* vaccinations, these will stress his immune system, causing increased susceptibility to skin problems. The photo you submitted, appears to be superficial puppy pyoderma, (infection in the skin) similar to diaper rash in a human baby.

Dish soap for shampoo, is recommended for greasy or oily skin conditions, and may have certainly dried out your puppy's skin causing this rash to get worse. I suggest either a baby shampoo, or an oatmeal shampoo. Both will decrease surface bacteria, and the oatmeal shampoo may decrease the itching.

Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian, to write an exemption form for vaccinations.

And for a more 'in-depth' skin exam to rule out other problems, such as Demodectic mange or ring worm.

And consider a raw diet for your puppy. See our page on 10 Best Dog food options, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html.