Red dog skin rash with brown splotching

by Kim T.

Male Chihuahua is 6 years old and has rash on right side of his groin area. The rash has occurred in the past but subsided. It has re-occurred in the last few weeks and is getting worse.

The color is red with brown splotching. It does not seem bother to him at all and has only occurred on the right side. A few small red bumps on the left side - may or may not be related.

I am unemployed so I deeply appreciate your assistance!

Kim T.

Comments for Red dog skin rash with brown splotching

My Online Vet Response for: Red dog skin rash with brown splotching

Hi Kim T.,
For your 6 year old male neutered Chihuahua, I can explain what is happening in his skin, but would need more background info to find out what is causing the problem.

It starts as inflammation in the hair follicles (like the red bumps on the left side of his groin), which can cause some hair loss, and then the skin/hair is stained by pigments called porphyrins in the serum which ooze out during the inflammatory process. Discovering what is CAUSING the inflammatory process may not be so easy.

However, there are numerous suspects, such as:

1. vaccinations
2. diet
3. contact allergy; from inside the house, (wool materials, synthetic material, cleaning products, etc.) or outside, poison oak or poison ivy, automotive chemicals from the floor of the garage, etc.
4. Mange mites or bacteria

Since the rash seems to subside and then flare up, it may be a periodic exposure, or that he is trying to heal, but his immune system, or 'constitution' is just not strong enough to completely heal.

1. VACCINATIONS - If he has had a recent vaccination, and that is when all of this started, then he should be treated by a holistic veterinarian for 'vaccinosis', especially one that is knowledgeable with homeopathic remedies. Even vaccines that have been giving years ago, may now be inhibiting his healing response.

2 DIET - He should be on a canned or raw food diet. NO DRY DOG food. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options. You can check Dr Richard Pitcairn's book, Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats for some homemade raw dog food diets.

For improving the hair and skin, he will need adequate moisture intake, and therefore his food needs to be raw or canned to make sure it is moist enough. Adding Omega 3 fish oil for dogs to his diet may also help decrease inflammation. He only needs about 100 mg per meal added.

TO BE CONT'D IN PART TWO

My Online Vet Response for: Red dog skin rash with brown splotching PART TWO

Hi Kim T.

Here is the rest of my response.

Some products to help 'boost' his immune system, are:

3. CONTACT ALLERGY / IRRITATION - Bathe him with an oatmeal shampoo, one to two times per week for 3 weeks then twice a month for 2 months to decrease the inflammation and remove 'toxins'.

4. DOG MANGE OR BACTERIA - If he is still not improving, he may need a skin scraping or culture/sensitivity to diagnose if there is a deeper problem occurring.